What's new

Which is better: Philips R75 or Go Video 3840? (1 Viewer)

Alex*R

Auditioning
Well I am in the fortunate situation to have two DVD recorders, but I only have one TV. For the past year I have used my Philips R75. I have had some issues with it, but most of that I think was attributed to the discs used. Others were just minor gliches, but irritating. Anyway for Christmas I was given the Go Video 3840 dual deack DVD Recorder/VCR. I was wondering which I should use. I am big on Qualtiy . I was just trying to get some feed back of whether or not to keep using the Philips R75 or give the Go Video 3840 a shot. ANy postives/negatives, and other suggestions woudl be much appreciated. Thanks

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I recently bought the 3840 and had to return the first one - it seemed to have an appetite for VHS tapes. One it ate was my very first VHS recording and was a game between Joe Gibbs and Tom Landry. :angry:

Otherwise, the DVD's were good quality and I felt that the 4 hour mode was adequate for recording much of the stuff I would keep. I collect Cowboys games and like to add the pregame or Primetime for the week. The recording seemed as good as, or better than VHS on 8 hour tape - good enough for unattended recording. It's the only way to not have to change the disc. The 2 hour mode is outstanding.

Yesterday, I returned the 3840 and got a new one (love Costco's policies). I intend to record a playoff game tomorrow (4 hour mode) and see how it looks.

Alex*R

Auditioning
Doug, Let me know how the 4 hour mode works out. I tested mine out and the 4 hour didnt seem to bad. I to collect Cowboys games, and I had been using the 2 hour mode and 2 discs for each of my games when using the philips. I would love to be able to just use 1 disc if the 4 hour mode works out. So please let me know how it works tomorrow! Thanks.

P.S. How long have you been collecting?

Raymond_S

Auditioning
Alex,

I too have a boat load of Cowboys games on video.

Still trying to find out the best way to get the whole game on one dvd before I start converting them though.

I bought a Toshiba D-VR3SU. I burned one from my Tivo in four hour mode and was not impressed. So I haven't even tried a VHS yet.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I am pleased with the results of direct to DVD from tuner re: 4 and 6 hour modes on this 3840. They are at least as good as 8 HR VHS tapes and that's good enough for me. There is little difference between 4 HR and 6 HR as regards details. The difference between 2 and 4 HR is a little more noticeable, but between 1 and 2 hour, not much difference. All of this changes when converting from VHS. I doubt I'd be satisfied with anything less than the 2 hour mode for the game itself. The source is not the greatest and the quality of the image degrades during the transfer from analogue to digital - not alot, but enough.

I recorded the Cowboy Seattle game on VHS (a lower grade TDK), then transferred to DVD-RW, then put into the computer and transferred to DVD+R. It seems to have held up pretty good. Will Start to transfer other tapes later in the week. I have some from 1988 (Landry's last year). I believe I have one where Mark Tunei played both offensive and defensive tackle.
I also have the 1989 Redskins game (Cowboys only win in '89). After that, I have every one that came to this part of the country (scarce here as I live south of Seattle so we get 'Hawks, 49'ers, and Rams for most of their games.

As regards converting to 1 DVD, I suggest you buy Double DVD cases and record them in 2 hour mode. I plan on doing that, then adding Primetime in 6 hour mode to the second DVD. It gives you an idea of what was happening in the league at the time of the game. You could also record on RW's in VR Mode, then edit the commercials and half-time out. That gets the games down to about 2 hours.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Here is an update:

I'm taking it back. The 3840 has now eaten another of my vintage VHS tapes - a Giants/Cowboys game from 1985. I only let it nibble a few minutes worth. I prepped the tape by fast-forwarding and re-winding several times, but it chewed it and messed up the audio. Additionally it couldn't track it. I believe the motor in the VHS recorder is just too weak to handle the older tapes. This particular tape was a top-grade Maxell. The previous destroyed tape was a Professional Grade Maxell. It also made minor "nibble marks" on my newer tape (Seahawks game) when I tried to copied it. It recorded and played another tape without difficulty. It seems to have the trouble coming out of pause when copying VHS to DVD. This is when the chewing and audio problems are the most obvious, but it destroyed the entire Redskin/Cowboy tape.
Needless to say, I'm more than disappointed.

Since I will only buy from Costco (too much previous experience in micro-electronics to feel safe otherwise), will return this and buy a Toshiba DR-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks