What's new

Which is better: British vs. Hollywood version of Strangers on a Train? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
I want to watch Strangers on a Train, but the disc I rented has "British Version" on one side and "Hollywood Version" on the other.
What is the difference? The British version is only two minutes longer it looks like. Are there huge differences in the plot? Which do you prefer if you have seen both versions?
Thanks....
Ernest

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
It's a toss-up. The difference is almost impercetible but neither version will affect your enjoyment or understanding of the movie.
------------------
Gerardo

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
There are some films like this with multiple versions, that have good things in both versions missing from the others. Both Strangers on a Train and The Big Sleep are dvds where one time I watch one version, and the next time I'll watch the other.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I will go on record as preferring the US version. The few lines of Bruno dialog lost in the US version were less essential to me than the hilarious ending of the US version that was altered for the British release.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 30, 2001 at 10:19 AM]

Adrian_N

Agent
Is this what your looking for at the Link Removed ? I don't think they are considered spoilers.
I haven't seen the film through it's entirety in the British version, but I think it does emphasize Bruno's attitudes a little more.
If you've rented the British version, I suggest to watch it. It will not hurt to watch both, and I don't think it matters which you watch first.
Incidentally, the DVD I have has both versions on it. There were separate versions made as well?

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, fellows!
Not sure if there are separate versions, Adrian. The one I rented had both versions, one on each side of the disc.
Ernest

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As far as I know there have never been separate versions available in region 1, but I might be wrong about Canada..anyone?
The main difference apart from a few more Brunoism's & the ending is that the American version seems to have a bit less grain and sharper blacks in some scenes.
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I believe the British version included more Bruno dialogue which supposedly was cut from the American version because it made his homosexuality too obvious. At the same time, the British ending was put on, because the American ending couldn't be used in Britain. I think.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks