What's new

which front projector? (1 Viewer)

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Hi guys, I'm looking for my first projector and its a bit of a challenge!

The room is less than ideal - a semi dedicated room with curtains that don't block out all light and a room layout that allows a screen with 1.5 - 1.8m as a maximum ie 5' or 6'. For DVDs mostly although I may use it for TV at times as well.

Things I'm looking for:
* low cost of projector and lamp - around cost of Acer PH110 or Panasonic PT-LM2E
* low fan noise since I'm about to install the only thing with fan noise in another room, I don't want to bring fan noise back in!
* overall quality

What do you guys suggest?

Can anyone point me to some good reviews and sources of info/reviews?

Does anyone know what the refresh rate of entry level DLPs are? I had my monitor set at 60 Hz and it was irritating to my eyes but now I have it at 85 Hz and its fine.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Paul, I've never heard of those 2 models. The entry level DLP's have a 2X color wheel speed. If "rainbows" bother you, you'll see them on the 2X speed units. If you're very prone to seeing rainbows, you may even see them on the 4X or 5X speed units. If so, you need to buy an LCD projector. You can read reviews and learn all about projectors at Projectorcentral.com. You can also do a search there to fit your requirements.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Jim, thanks for the response. I've had a look at projector central already and found it helpful. What I'm looking for is a "real world perspective" from users, the kind of advice you can't generally get on websites.

I don't think I'll have a problem with rainbow effect, I've seen the Infocus screenplay 4805 and can't imagine it being a problem for me BUT ... sometimes I like to entertain, and I'd like to think that no one else likely to watch would have a problem.

Still if I find that overall I get a DLP that is better value than an LCD, I'll go for it. Trying to weigh all things up.

I did feel the acer was quieter and this might be an issue. I've heard that LCD tend to have more heat issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks