What's new

which freq to tune ports to? read ahead... (1 Viewer)

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
ok say I have a 4 cubic foot (128 liters) sealed sub with 2 10"s and I get a gradual increase in SPL from 20Hz@75db's to 100Hz@100db's. Should I increase the box dims and tune the port below 20Hz? or keep the same size and tune the port @ 20Hz? Suggestions please? and If you give one, please explain what the effect will be. thanks

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
So you're seeing a 25dB increase from the tuning point at 20Hz to the upper end at 100Hz? Doesn't this seem like a lot of slope? I would probably raise the tuning point and/or enlarge the enclosure until I got more like 5 to 10dB of slope.

I know that room gain will fill in the bottom end to some degree, but even with a really small room I wouldn't count on 25dB of room gain.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
"Doesn't this seem like a lot of slope?"

Well yes, yes it does, that is why i am posting this question. So say I increased the box size to 6 cf or 168 liters, that would help with the 100Hz to 40Hz range and then if I ported it and tuned it to 20 Hz, then that would help in the 40Hz to 20 Hz range, right? of course all these are approximates.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Without knowing exactly what drivers you're using, and their parameters, any suggestions we make are purely guesses. You really should give us the info. on the drivers if you want a more accurate answer.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
well winisd showd how well 2 3' long ports would do in the same size enclosure. it would flatten the whole thing to 30HZ then a easy rolloff to 15 Hz.

so its just about right

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks