What's new

which forum/thread/topic do i use,to ask about choosing a screen ? (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I think this is the right forum if you want to buy a screen. But ask in the DIY forum if you want to make or paint one. If your room is not totally dark, you should go with a gray screen. If you want to paint your own screen, a very popular gray color is Behr Silverscreen from Home Depot. I recently painted a new screen using 1/2" thick Medium Density Fiberboard.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Given you have an LCD ... go with a gray screen of some sort either the DIY method or a gray from Dalite or Carada for instance.

If you don't want to fully DIY ... buy the actual screen material and simply build your own frame around it.

Gray screens are great for getting you better blacks, but a high gain screen might be more usable in a room with some ambient light. A Dalight 2.8 gain is very bright ... but at the cost of the blacks and the viewing cone is more limited.

Regards

Dick C

Auditioning
Michael TLV: In your post, you recommend a grey screen for a LCD. I'm currently using black-out cloth (110") with my Panny 700. If I purchase a High Contrast Grey Carada (a forum sponsor) 110" screen for $640, will the blacks of my 700 equal the blacks of my previous HD display; a Toshiba 52HM94 (HD2+ DLP)??? If so, I'll order one tomorrow. The only issue that I have with my black-out cloth/700 combo is the "fog" that I see in the dark scenes of my favorite HD dramas. Bottom line: by spending $640, will I "turn" my Panny 700 LCD projector into a HD2+ DLP projector??? PS: I have a dark room.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

No ... you cannot turn that LCD unit into a 2+ because you will still have vertical banding and non-uniform colours across the screen surface which is inherent in your LCD.

Good DLP front projectors have much better blacks than those RP DLP based units primarily because of the lack of a lenticular screen.

I have no idea about how blacker the blacks would get ... but a typical 2000:1 DLP will have better blacks than a 2000:1 LCD. (Probably because one maker is exaggerating their CR numbers.)

Regards

Dick C

Auditioning
Thanks for the info, Michael. Obviously, my purchase of the Panny 700 was based on the price of the projector. I haven't seen any VB on my unit after 1,077 hrs, and to my eyes, the colors are great. IMO, it's the blacks that prevent the Panny 700 from being a SUPER buy. Apparently, a screen alone won't correct this. I'll pass on the screen. You have just saved me $640 and/or the trouble of returning the screen, which wouldn't do neither Carada or myself any good. I just did a price check and found that the IF 7205 is still too expensive for me at about $4100. If the price drops to $3,500, I'll sell my 700 and buy one. I guess you get what you pay for. I would like your opinion of the IF 7205. Thanks again for your advice.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It is easiest to see the non uniformity issue by throwing up a gray screen ... like a resolution/overscan chart for instance.

Vertical banding could be like rainbows. Either you see them or you don't, but if you do ... it can bug you.

If one is in the market for DLP, then take a serious look at the new BenQ 7700 for $3K range or the TOshiba Equivalent.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks