What's new

Which DVD player? (1 Viewer)

JonBrasher

Auditioning
I know this has been done i have read some of them but i didn't find the answer i was looking for. I currently have a Sony DVP S360 and sometimes it hangs on newer discs? Is there a fix for this? If not I am looking for a new player. Would a Denon 1920 (i would like to try DVD-Audio) or Sony 975 be a better player.

mylan

Screenwriter
If you are looking for DVD-audio do not consider Sony because none of their players do it.Sony came up with SACD and will not put DVD-audio capability in any of their players. Yes, the Denon would be a better choice, I have the 2910 and have had good luck with it.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
The Denon 1920 is getting great reviews. One consideration, it uses a Faroudja FLI2301 which sometimes results in the macroblocking enhancement bug when upscaling to some HDTVs. I have a Zenith DVB318 with this chip and I have seen the problem some, it can be very annoying. There is a lot of information on this issue at AVSforum and the DVD Secrets site. If your display isn't affected, you should find the player is very good.

Chris

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I own the Sony 975 and is clearly the best 480p player I ever owned. I was also concerened about no DVD-A but funny thing is I find myself buying all SACD's anyway so that solved that problem. I only own 3 DVD-A discs.

not only is the 975 an excellent 480p machine but I have owned 3 other upscale players with the Zenith DVB-318 being the best....until I got this Sony 975! it clearly knocks my Zenith 318 around like a silly clown. way more detail and not even a fair comparison. basically the Sony 975 480P mode is the same as the Zenith 318 in 1080i mode(yes they are clearly outputting respective upscale modes)

but the sony really shines in 1080i. what detail. not only that but reg cd's and sacd's sound excellent!!!

Rolando

Screenwriter
sounds like a good player, would you say there are any cons?

will it do 480i over HDMI? how is the layer switch?

does it pillarbox 4:3 material?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
cons ? cant think of any.

it does 480i over HDMI. the layer change is average.

it puts 4:3 in a native box, I dont beleive I have ever seen it pillar box. and has a full mode to auto fill screen for 4:3 dvd's.

Rolando

Screenwriter

Really? that is great news. I was afraid they were no longer making DVD players able to do this. is this a new model or from last year?

I take it the layer switch is still noticeable?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
yup, 480i over HDMI.

it is on some dvd's most not. only noticed it twice over many many dvd's. my player is 9months old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks