What's new

Which calibration disc is easiest to use? (1 Viewer)

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator
I was about to purchase the DVE setup disk from amazon.ca (I live in Canada) before I did I read a few reviews and allot of them were saying that it does not describe what to do with the various test tones and test patterns. I am relatively new too home theater and am afraid I will get the disk and not know what to do with it. Is it not as hard as the reviews suggest or should I consider another disk such as Avia? Thanks!

PaulT

Supporting Actor
I own both (purchased as well from amazon.ca), and find Avia much easier to Navigate. If you do a search on the Forums for DVE there were quite a few discussions that went on about some of the tones. I understand that if you have a 16:9 display, then DVE has some test patterns that are not available on Avia.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I also have both Avia and DVE. Avia has better menu navigation than DVE by far, but this is not even an issue if your DVD player has a title jump feature that will allow you to jump straight to a specific title on the DVD. I use that feature on my DVD player to jump straight to title 9, chapter 1 of DVE as soon as I pop the disc in, so its super easy and thus the navigation is not even an issue for me.

That being said, I find that the video test patterns on Avia are much better and much better explained than those on DVE. Furthermore, I was more pleased with my Avia-calibrated picture quality than I was with my DVE-calibrated results. However, Avia unfortunately only has test tones for 5.1 speaker calibration, so if you have a 6.1/7.1 set up, DVE is the absolute way to go since it has Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES test tones for speaker calibration.

eryn shannon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, I just ordered DVE because I am planing to upgrade to 7.1 in a few months so those extra test tones for the rear channels will be usefull for me. Now I need to go to radio shack and get my SPL meter!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks