Calibrating

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DaveAr, Dec 30, 2003.

1. DaveAr

DaveAr Stunt Coordinator

Having set up my new HT, and not having a freakin' clue as to what I am really doing, it has been suggested to me that I look into purchasing an SPL Meter, and a calibration disc. Even though my Yamaha RX V 2400 has the YPAO feature, it is suggested the discs are better. True?
    My setup features Axiom M22's/QS8's/VP150 Stryke Sub.
    Now I have seen three diff calibration discs:
    1) Avia Calibration CD
    2) Sound and Vision HT Tune Up
    3) Digital Video Essentials

A)Which is a better disc?
    B)Easiest to use?
    C)Better Buy?
    D)Do I now need an SPL Meter?
    E)If so, what type and where to purchase, and how much am
    I looking at?
    F)Is it worth the investment for such a short term use?

I am willing to learn, and have a passion for getting things right, yet my patience never seems to last when I confront such an assuming task as this HT world.
    Believe me both computers and my new HT are both comparable when giving me agita!
    Thanks for the info, have a safe healthy happy New Year!!:b

What would the offset cost be to have someone come into my home and calibrate my system and perhaps go thru the features of my receiver. Based on anyones experience or field of expertise. I live in the NYC area

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

You buy my plane ticket, i'll be there [​IMG]

3. DaveAr

DaveAr Stunt Coordinator

I don't know Vince. You get the better of a deal, flyin' out to the big city. But thanks for the offer.
    Seriously, appreciate the info. I'll look for the Digital Video essential cd. And an SPL meter.
    I guess it will be a learning experience, but that's what seperates the drivers from the auto owners. One just gets in and turns the key, while the other cannot even change a tire. Hey, I can at minimum change a tire, now dismantling an engine? Anyway I'll give it a shot, and will start looking around. Any good spots for the cd, anyone? Anyone? Bueller?, Bueller?
    Thanks again, and a Happy Healthy Safe New Year to All!!!!!!:b

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dave: most of the disks contain a tutoral that takes you through the whole calibration step.

It's not hard. You can do it under about 90 seconds when you get familar with the steps.

The disks also contain video test-patterns that can help 'rough in' your video display.

A better use of your money (if you have a good sized or HDTV television) is to hire a ISF Certified Calibrationist to come to your house and spend 2-3 hours bringing your television to professional video image quality. These run $300-$500 but I have not heard of anybody who has had it done that has regreted it.

Search the "Display Devices" fourm for more information.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

For a noob, I might stay away from DVE.

The navigation is at best tedious and cumbersome, and there are some issues with the audio tones (The sub level is high, resulting in low sub settings. JK has offered an explanation, but I am not sure I buy into it).

And FWIW, Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs, and John Kotches (WSR reviewer) both have suggested that using the internal tones is almost always the way to go.

That said, I do like the new DVE video test patterns. Just search HTF for DVE...there is a long review thread that you can read.

But as for what disc to buy, for a noob, I would go for the S&V Set-up disc, as it can be had for

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am not familiar with Yamaha's feature, but if it's anything like Pioneer's MCACC auto-cablibration feature, then it should be accurate. I checked the levels with a SPL meter after running MCACC on my setup, and they were right on target.

I would still recommend a calibration disc for adjusting the video settings on your television, regardless of whether you use it or your Yamaha's auto calibration for audio.

7. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I also agree... if anything get the disk just for video patterns and if you feel you want to check your levels then pick up an SPL meter later. The video patterns are worth the price of the calibration disk alone.

8. Craig Rup

Craig Rup Extra

Dave, if you have not had an ISF Technician in to calibrate your television have it done. If you have tried to calibrate it using one of the mentioned disks great but I am sure you do not understand all that is going on. The tech will perform the tests on the video essentials or Avia disk plus he will access the tv's service menu which you cannot do to change the colors to there correct temp all of this will be done using a probe and laptop hooked up to the monitors screen. The cost ranges from $225 to $400, I think (direct view tvs are $225 with projection being more). The process takes anywhere from 2 to 3 hours. To find a ISF tech in your area go to the ISF website.

9. Beau B

Beau B Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy has their own sort of disc.

Has anyone used it, and if so, is it any good?

Beau

10. Cesar*P

Cesar*P Extra

Does S&V have test tones that can be used with an SPL meter?