Which brand does best squeeze trick on 4:3 TVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yohan Pamudji, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I'm thinking about getting an RPTV soon. I really, really, really want to get a 16:9, but my viewing habits unfortunately don't support that. But at the same time I still want the best possible picture out of my DVDs. So the best compromise is to get a 4:3 RPTV that does the squeeze trick.
    If you have experience with 4:3 sets that do the squeeze, please post your thoughts on the quality, and if possible compare to other sets from other brands. Which set/brand would you suggest? Sony? Toshiba? Panasonic? Certainly not Hitachi, from what I've heard. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    ------------------
    This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Anyone? Anybody have some insight on this?
    ------------------
    This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

3. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

I'm afraid I can't provide much insight, but I do know that the Sony sets do a good "anamorphic squeeze". I suppose that one of the things you need to consider is automatic squeeze vs. manual squeeze. Perhaps someone else can shed better light on this, because I'm not certain which sets do this automatically and which sets don't. There are definitely pros and cons to both methods.
    [​IMG]