What's new

Which amp for my Tempest? (1 Viewer)

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
The one at parts express? (300 -794) or the adire AVA250?

The adire is more money.....is it worth it?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Depends. Shipping narrows the gap (provided you are going to get the Tempest and not the Dayton DVC15"). The AVA250 now has a switch to defeat the crossover which is a good thing. The AVA250 comes with the rumble filter at a nice setting. The PE300-794 now comes with the rumble filter disabled I believe, so if you want the rumble filter you have to swap out two resistors.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Here's another consideration...
$80 for a 120 watt plate amp from Partsexpress. You'll only lose 3.19 decibels of max output which is barely noticeable.
That PE amp is $120 while the Adire amp is $180... how would shipping narrow the gap of $60?
I'd go for the parts express 250w one :emoji_thumbsup:

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
It does narrow the gap, there still is one though. I guess I'm just used to being a CDN ordering from the states. Shipping and brokerage are a real concern for me as they add up fast.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
You'll only lose 3.19 decibels of max output which is barely noticeable
For 3db it is DEFINITELY worth investing in the larger amplifier.

The biggest differences between the PE amp and the Adire amp is the crossover defeat and the rumble filter. To many those two features are not worth the added cost but to others it is well worth it.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
"The PE300-794 now comes with the rumble filter disabled I believe, so if you want the rumble filter you have to swap out two resistors. "

No, the 300-794 has the boost disabled. The rumble filter is still intact. This is done by setting the Q of the filter to 0.7 giving you a Butterworth alignment. The boosted filters have Q > 0.7

In the case of the 300-794 the cutoff frequency is 19.4Hz. You could change this cutoff frequency and maintain the Q = 0.7 by changing the resistor values but keeping R27 = 2*R26. If anyone needs resistor values for a particular boost and frequency just ask - I've built a spreadsheet that calculates them for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks