What's new

Which >40in. LCD or Plasma to buy? (1 Viewer)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
My in-laws are interested in a 43in Pioneer plasma (Model #: PDP4361HD). I wonder if any of you have any opinion on it. Is there another one they should be thinking about instead? It is very pricey, so I want to make sure that they get what they need.

I believe that the room they will be using is has normal sunlight (nothing too bright). They will use it mostly for tv (maybe some dvd's). Not for gaming or computer, I don't think.

I just bought a 40in Samsung LCD which I love.

Is the 42in Panasonic (Model: TH42PX50U) recommended?

I've heard great things about Sony's LCD's also.

What do you think they should do? Is there any more info that I could give you to help decide?

Thanks,
Rob

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
They'll get the most bang for the buck with the Panasonic display. I doubt they would be interested in the extra features (and, IMO, slightly better PQ) the Pioneer offers for the substatial increase in price.

The plasma display will give them better off angle viewing vs an LCD unit and can be adjusted to give a good picture in a brightly lit room.

Mort

berk@g

Auditioning
unless your in-laws have superb eyes and have limited their TV watching to HD over the last few years, the extra $$$ for the pioneer would be worthless. i am very pleased with my 42PX50U...and i'm quite particular about my PQ.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

Yep -- well by me anyway :) Love mine and I agree with the other comments. Set up is easy, picture is great.

Viewing angle is better with a plasma tho' the gap is closing. One downside to plasma vs. LCD is the glass front surface is (like a tube) much more susceptible to reflection than the LCD. And the bigger the screen the more area there is for something to reflect.

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys.

My in-laws decided to stick with the order that they put in for the 43in Pioneer. It's more tv than they need, but they are ok with that. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks again,
Rob

berk@g

Auditioning
i'm sure they will be thoroughly satisfied! now just make sure they get the most out of their money and get HD service

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks