What's new

Whew, just finished The World at War boxset. (1 Viewer)

Zane Charron

Second Unit
And what a set it is. 26 50-minute episodes chronicling the rise of German and Japanese power through the aftermath of WWII. And if that wasn't enough, there are 2 long interviews with Hitler's secretary Traudl Junge (who died just last year at 81) and a young (but still haggard looking) historian Stephen Ambrose, 4 'extended' episodes dealing with specific topics of the war running 1.5 hours each (the two-part 'Final Solution' is the best chronicle of the Holocaust I've seen), and LASTLY there is a 45-minute 'making of' with producer Jeremy Isaccs, which is interesting but mostly a talking head interview. Plus timelines and biographies of the major players in WWII.

So we're talking about 30 hours or so of material to go through here. I'd seen bits and pieces of these docs when I was young, but seeing it all the way through over about 3 weeks was amazing. Truly a gem in any WWII or history buff's collection.

Anyone else have this great boxset?

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Hmm, this one slipped under my radar. Looks interesting, and can be had for around $70 it looks like. Maybe once I've finished my Band of Brothers set I'll give this a look. :D

Thanks for the heads up on what sounds like an interesting set.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I purchased the set around the time it first became available and found it very informative. I wouldn't recommend the set to anyone unless they are willing to take the time to watch it since there is so much material. However, it is worth purchasing if you are interested in World War 2 or want to learn more about it.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I remember watching it back in the 70's and they showed the "COLOR" footage of the after fighting on Iwo Jima...damn, the horrors of war!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I finished watching this set some time ago and it was absolutely astonishing. I, too, watched this on TV as a kid but I didn't see the whole thing, nor did I understand what it was I was watching.

That series should be required viewing for all the political leaders of today's world.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I have an embarrassing admission to make: I bought this when I visited Melbourne on holiday last year; R4 was the cheapest version at the time, partly due to the exchange rate.

I still haven't watched it... :b

Chris Richard

Auditioning
North American DVD has it for $62.99.

I purchased this set in May of 2002 and it took me until December to finally view the whole thing. It was long and some parts were more interesting than others. The video is the real thing, a historical marvel. The sound is spiced up with sound effects but it is very well done.

I learned things about World War Two that I didn't know anything about. I recommend this collection highly if you have any interest world or war history. Around 30 hours long!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks