What's new

Where to live in the United States of America? (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I'm a student, a junior in college right now. I have the freedom to transfer anywhere i can afford to live - find a job to pay for part of my education, and a job after i graduate. What would you recommend? Go ahead, recommend your own state, but please don't recommend small towns - i'm in one right now - Iowa, and to put it politely, it sucks blows spews. :)
So where do i go to? New Jersey for close access to NY, CA for the 'coolness' of being in CA and near Hollywood? Or ...?
The things important to me are good living conditions (read: not much crime and good roads, along with a diverse and generally nice community), and i am ok with either near the coast or away from it, as long as i earn enough to go on a vacation once or twice a year. I am in IT, and plan to finish my Bachelor's next year, work for a while, and then do an MBA.
Of course, we also want good nightlife and hot chicks don't we?? :D :D
Where should i go?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Madison, WI. I can't remember a lot of details from my visits. That should tell you everything you need to know, my lad.

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Charlotte, NC

if you wouldn't mind a college town very near a city, check out Ann Arbor, MI (20 min or so? outside Detroit). They've got about a million students, so the diverse community, nightlife and hot chicks are definitely there.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I'll vouch for Charlotte as well. Or any of its surrounding communities in North and South Carolina. Great weather, good job market. And close to both the mountains and the beach when vacation time comes around.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Seattle - so you can visit all of the people from California without having to live there :)
John.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's never too late to immigrate to California. You're looking for attractive women and an exciting nightlife? This is the best country to live in. As for the United States, it's got some nice places and attractive women, too. :)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Heheh, Jack's responses are good... I must say, i've never heard of Madison - that's Midwest isn't it... ;) Don't want that :)
Keep the responses coming, guys!! Where's your patriotism! :D

AviTevet

Stunt Coordinator
Colorado Springs. 500,000 people, 45 mins from Denver, 300 sunny days/year, 2 hours from world-class skiing. It's up there as one of the most beautiful cities in the US, and relatively cheap too. I'd be living there if I liked to program oscilloscopes.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Johny, i didn't get your drift - was it meant to be insulting? If so, it failed - you should try harder. :D

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
i've never heard of Madison
You're about 2 - 4 hrs West of MadTown, WI. (Madison)
Wisconsin's Capital and home to State Street. Or as I like to call it: "The Haight-Ashbury of the MidWest"

Mark,
Don't sell the MidWest short. South Eastern Wisconsin has plenty of jobs, in fact, I'd say it has the greatest oportunity to find a good paying job in the whole country.

Plus a few other perks:

1. East side of Milwaukee- Great nightlife/Women
2. SummerFest- 10 days of the largest anual music festival in the U.S.
3. Great school systems, for the distant future, of course
4. Lots of great places to eat.
5. Beer.
6. Green Bay Packers
7. 90 minutes from Chicago. (Not sure if that's a good thing, or a bad thing)
8. Lake Michigan. A great place to party in summer, and stay cool.
9. Lots of great people to meet.
10. Beer.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I'd second Madison WI, and Ann Arbor MI having lived in both places. Both are great towns with lots to do near by, and great food and events thanks to the Universities. Madison is reasonably close to both Milwaukee and Chicago, but A&#178 is near to Detroit, but on the plus side also neat Windsor, Ont. If you don't like winter these are not the places for you, however.
Do they still have the Miflin Street Block Party in Madison?
:D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I still vote for our nation. And if you do immigrate to California Nation, check out the State of San Francisco. Wonderful. Most of the states of California would prefer to see the State of Los Angeles secede. Well, we're doing one better: We're apparently going to break up Los Angeles this fall. I hope not, but it's looking more and more likely each day.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You know, I don't think I've heard the town of Madison, WI, mentioned so often in so short of time. Never been there.

Here's one that's worthy of consideration: Eugene, OR. One hell of a nice place, full of hippies.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jack, and here's one more mention of Madison, WI: I'm going to Madison, WI in two weeks. :)
I've never been there, but I've only heard good things about it. It's always listed as one of the best places to live in the US. I'll tell you if it's worth all the attention it's getting. :)
/Mike

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
That'll be harder: I don't drink beer. :) But I can give you a first hand report on how their Diet Dr Pepper is.
/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks