What's new

Where to get a good 2 ch receiver (1 Viewer)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
Im looking to buy a fairly good 2 ch. receiver. I prefer these brands: Denon, HK, Yamaha, Marantz, onkyo. It seems that there is no place to buy decent 2 ch a/v receivers these days. At my high end audio shop they only had 5.1 receivers. On ebay, there is only a couple of good stereo receivers. Where can I find a good stereo receiver?
I live in canada by the way.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
I think your best bet would be to get an old marantz or sansui receiver (or integrated amp) from the 70's. They are built like tanks, look great, sound great, and are very powerful (conservative power ratings). I just picked up a Marantz 2235B for $50 and I'm thrilled with it. I also owned a Sansui AU-9500 integrated amp that was very good but a little too bulky for me (55lbs).
http://www.classicaudio.com/value/
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html
My Marantz!
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2235b.html

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Alex

Check Amazon for the Harman Kardon 3370. It sells for $300 and has a phono input. Apparently this item is sold in conjunction with Circuit City. Amazon does not stock it or sell it. So, I guess the question is: does Circuit City still stock it.

Let us know how you make out.

Artie

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
Im looking for something that is maybe a couple of years old. I was considering buying that HK3370 off ubid for $79 (refurbished). The bidding closed this morning at 9:00am. The only problem was that ubid is only for the US, not canada.

Jason, I was considering buying an old amp, but looks is another major priority. Im only going to buy a receiver/integrated amp that sounds and looks good.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Look on Ebay for Yamaha receivers in the 100w range.
The CR series from the 1970s and early 1980s are
popular. Also, the early 1990's run of RX-V receivers
were very good, well built and they have good sound.
You can often snag one for about $100 or so.

MikePilg

Auditioning
Most stores are going to have 5.1 or better systems. Some stores still offer the brands of 2 channel (stereo) receivers. Some models do offer basic video switching.

Tweeter is one company which have Denon, Sony and Yamaha stereo receivers available. If you are looking for higher end gear they also carry B&K separates. Good luck in your search.

Michael Hurst

Stunt Coordinator
While not on your list I would strongly suggest the Rotel RX-1050; 100 Watts X 2, phono input, lists for $799. If you could live without an integrated tuner (you could add one later) the Rotel RA-972 would work; 60 Watts X 2, phono input, lists for $499. Usually your dealer can take 10% off. Both are very musical and reliable. Not exactly sure what your price range is.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
If looks is a priority then that's even more reason to buy an old marantz or sansui. They make anything today look dull.
I already posted this link but here it is again....in my opinion this is one gorgeous piece of electronics and puts new HK, Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha stuff to shame. Real wood cover. I love mine so much and I'm crazy about the bluish- green backlit display. Then again, maybe the look of this marantz isn't your style. Remember, 35 watts per channel back then was rated across all channels for an hour or something to that liking. Not for a fraction of a second across one channel like many power ratings today.
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2235b.html
Here are some Sansui G series receiver....beautiful!
Link Removed
The one link I provided in my other post was to a site with various prices that old Marantz and Sansui's have gone for in auctions.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Back when i was looking for a receiver, i saw a few NAD's (integrated amps) on ebay for like $ 300 something. You can't get much better than that for the price i think.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
My advice is to check out your local pawnshops as these are dime a dozen there so to speak (though I'll admit most of them are pretty generic mass market brands). If all you need is about 60wpc then you might want to consider buying a two channel amp and build a passive pre-amp (www.diyaudio.com) and simply hook an AV switcher to it for source selection (granted no remote but very simple and very effective).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Alex, Mark's suggestion of NAD integrated amps is an excellent one. NAD makes excellent integrateds for the money. I use the C 350 integrated amp (60W x 2, 20Hz-20kHz, both channels driven, into 8 ohms; $430 retail) in my second stereo system and the C 370 (120W x 2, 20Hz-20kHz, both channels driven, into 8 ohms; $700 retail) in my main system. I have been very happy with both of them. SoundCity (1-800-370-3156) is an authorized NAD dealer and discounts. I bought the C 350 from them for $325 and the C 370 from them for $525.
I would get an NAD integrated amp over any stereo receiver by Onkyo, Marantz, or Harman/Kardon. The NAD integrateds are much better, in my opinion. I should note that NAD is known for being conservative with its power ratings. Two British hi-fi magazines independently measured the continuous power of the C 350 at 95W x 2 into 8 ohms. I read in another British magazine that the C 370 measures at 185W x 2 continuous power into 8 ohms.
Check out the NAD integrated amps at www.nadelectronics.com .

wayne rec

Auditioning
if interested, i have an onkyo 8511 stereo reciever for sale(100w x 2). it sells for $299. i will sale for $175. if interested, email me.
[email protected]
i have good feedback on several car audio forums and ebay...

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
What? oxymoron? Although weight does not mean everything, (good basis) The 2ch Onkyo weighs more then the TX600 5.1 reciever!:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks