What's new

Where to get 8mm film scanned (1 Viewer)

Baenwort

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cee
So I have some old family 8mm reels that I'd like to get digitized.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who I could send them too?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So I have some old family 8mm reels that I'd like to get digitized.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who I could send them too?
Sound or silent? Are you looking to have just the video files sent or an authored DVD or Blu-ray?

Baenwort

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cee
Some are sound some are silent.

I'm not picky as I can author and burn discs myself for the rest of the family.

My Grandfather make a lot of films over 50 years and a couple from when he was off the coast of Korea. However, his labeling system passed with him and so I need to get everything converted to discover and sort out who would want which.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Some are sound some are silent.

I'm not picky as I can author and burn discs myself for the rest of the family.

My Grandfather make a lot of films over 50 years and a couple from when he was off the coast of Korea. However, his labeling system passed with him and so I need to get everything converted to discover and sort out who would want which.
See if there are any "Home Video Studio" locations near you. I've used locations in Ohio that are part of a cooperative group that can dub slides, film and tape. They've always done a great job for me.

Baenwort

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cee
I very highly recommend Film Media in New Jersey.

Looks interesting and one name is familiar to me. ;)

But is calling the only way to setup a transfer? They also don't seem to have a price or example price anywhere and I've learned that if someone doesn't list a price that when I ask I find that I can't afford it. :(

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Not at all, contact them, please mention my name, and they will work with you and your budget. Dave Northrop is one of the best telecine operators in the business with decades of experience.

Mike Raso is the man behind the Film Photography Project.

Let’s put it this way, I’ve transferred film at a lot of facilities over the last four decades, and I’ve trusted them with my precious family home movies.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF none of the options you find are good and affordable enough, let me know and I can try checking w/ a good friend who's had that done for his father's 8mm home movies over here in NYC metro a few years ago -- he works mainly as a grip for some shows here and has made a couple short films of his own that he submitted to various film festivals. I actually did a basic conversion of that home movie from a 1080p ProRes video file (of that transfer) onto DVD for him just using inexpensive Adobe Premiere LE at the time... and you can probably do the same (perhaps even w/ a free copy of DaVinci Resolve) if you just get a high quality video file(s) from your transfer -- I've also done some 1080p transcodes of his short films (also from ProRes) for his website, etc w/ which he was very happy... again just w/ Premiere LE (and some suitably good settings). That probably makes the most sense IMHO as you can then do whatever you want w/ the video(s), especially if it's a lot, including taking your time to edit it down to some shorter version(s), etc and/or putting it on DVD or YouTube/Vimeo or whatever -- I wouldn't want the only result to be a DVD or even a BD w/out something like good ProRes video files for (re)editing.

But I imagine your best bet will be Bob's recommendation above -- I don't imagine the shop used by my friend here in NYC will be anymore affordable or better quality-wise.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks