What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Where is WHITE NIGHTS (1985)? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A couple years ago, I took a new music appriciation class at school and since it was new, there wasn't really a devoloped cerricilum for the teacher to stick to. Thus, we got to watch a bunch of movies that dealt with music, performing arts, etc. It was a cool class.

The movie that most struck me out of the ones we watched was WHITE NIGHTS (1985), and I have been eagerly anticipating owning it on DVD ever since we saw it. But it's only available on an apparently out of print pan & scan VHS (the school copy was P&S), and I really want it on DVD. A few years ago its absense was easier for me to forgive since there were still top-shelf titles that have yet to come out (ie, E.T., Back to the Future, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, several Disney animated classics) but now it's 2005, and I'd say that most of the big titles that everybody wants have either been released or announced for a release soon. So it's time for the studios to bring out the smaller catalog titles.

But it's not been released on DVD. So where is it? I know it had a very popular soundtrack, so my best guess is that music rights are tying it up, but I'd like to know.

Are you listening, Sony/Colombia? I want to have this and see it in its proper 2.35:1 ratio, as I'm sure its coreography and dances were completely butchered by the P&Sing.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to own it.

Come on, let's get it out there to buy please! I'd like extras, but I'd even take a barebones release provided it was presented in 2.35:1.

Anybody have any idea what's taking this one so long?

Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Perhaps with Taylor Hackford's recent success with RAY, Sony will produce a Special Edition. Maybe there are music Issues also.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
No, but it's one of the ones I want too. Luckily I have a digital capture from AMC or A&E or some such to hold me over until the DVD comes out. My old VHS tape was about gone. You have a good point about the music rights, though I haven't heard anything.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Though I don't have this particular disc and can't comment about its quality, I would recommend ordering from CD Japan if you're multi-region capable. (And I would recommend acquiring a multi-region DVD player if you're not.)

I've ordered from them a number of times before, and their service is first-rate. Ordering from Japan can be somewhat expensive (White Nights will run you about $35 before shipping), but it's worth it for those gems that aren't available domestically.

CD Japan's listing for White Nights is here . It includes scans of both the front and back of the package.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

Not silly, I should have said.

Yes it is.

And the English subtitles of the Russian (during the film) are there as well.

It's a great disc.

walter o

Supporting Actor
correct me if I am wrong, but I have the widescreen LD of this, and though i havent played it in years, I could have swore it was a 1:85 movie,not 2:35, thus making the VHS an open matte presentation?

walter o

Supporting Actor
if the OAR is 1:66, it had to be shot open matte, right, considering the black bars would be less significant than a 1:85, similar to a Kubrick film?

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

I don't think so...

I can't remember, but I think films were shot 1.66. MGM made a big deal out of that AR in the 1950s--just before cinemascope. And they wouldn't have been thinking of matting then...

Does anyone not remembering a blurb in a 10-year old Leonard Maltin book know?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks