What's new

Where is the Backdraft "Ultimate" Edition? (CONSOLIDATED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

GregBarron

Agent
Universal needs to start giving the Ultimate treatment to movies that are in real need of it...like Backdraft. Or how about a Happy Gilmore Ultimate Edition with a widescreen anamorphic transfer instead of the previous pan and scan.
Both of these movies I bet have a wealth of extra material just waiting to be used for this purpose.
Does anybody know if either one of these movies is being talked about or already in the works for an Ulitmate edition?
Thanks,
Greg

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I don't care if it is "Ultimate Edition" set or not, but I definitely would like to see Backdraft revisited. Something similar to Apollo13 would work for me.
As for Gilmore...let's just say you probably won't find many people who hate Sandler more than I do. 'Nuff said.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
I definately wouldn't mind seeing a Backdraft release. Ultimate Edition or not, I would get it. Was there ever an initial release of it? I haven't seen it on DVD in any of the stores that I go too.........Wil
------------------
"The rose petal floats on water,
the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
*******The Wheel of Time

brianacook

Stunt Coordinator
there was talk of a backdraft special edition over a year ago, but it never happened (obviously). this is a real shame! let's hope universal comes to their senses and gives this movie the treatment it deserves!
brian

Michael*K

Screenwriter
It is available on DVD. It was one of Universal's first releases. The transfer is non-anamorphic and it has almost no extras...not even a trailer. But it is an upgrade over VHS. If it's not at retailers near you, you can still get it through Amazon.
Backdraft at Amazon.com
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Most places like Best Buy and Wal Mart you can buy the two pack of Backdraft and the dolby Apollo 13 for $30. Not bad since Apollo 13 is that price alone most places.
------------------
card11.jpg

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
My wife was watching "Backdraft" on Bravo last night and got us both thinking that it's an old favorite missing from the current DVD collection.

Anyone care to offer up opinions on the current release? No commentary on the quality of the movie is necessary, I'm just wondering what the picture/sound/extras are like.

Also, any word on a new release? I saw that "Ransom" and "Splash" just got new releases, just wondering if any of Opie Cunningham's other flicks will be getting some kind of Special Edition treatment anytime soon.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Anyone care to offer up opinions on the current release? No commentary on the quality of the movie is necessary, I'm just wondering what the picture/sound/extras are like.
Terrible!!!

Both the audio, but especially the video were among the worst I have ever seen on the dvd format so far. You know, it was just on my mind a couple of days ago that they (Universal) need to re-visit this title with a new master and in anamorphic as the existing one was extremely grainy.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
This was one of the very first Universal discs back when they were releasing exclusively in jewel cases. It has a non-anamorphic transfer and 5.1 soundtrack, but not a pheonomenal one.

I know that they have a D-VHS version of this movie, so I would think revisitng it would be a no-brainer since they have a newish High-Def transfer. They might be waiting to tie it in with the fall theatrical release Ladder 49 which looks to be a remake more than anything.

Whenever it's released, I'd hold off for a new version.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
Can anywone who has seen both recommend the laserdisc over the current DVD release? I know there is no AC-3 pressing, but if the picture is better I might just go for the LD for now.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I just watched my LD a few weeks ago. You are correct it not being in AC-3, just regular dolby surround. Though I haven't seen the DVD version, the LD version is fine for me and not worth an upgrade.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Universal has three Ron Howard films that need revisiting BADLY:

Backdraft (for reasons mentioned before)

The Paper (criminally underrated, and criminally given a foolscreen only release)

Parenthood (again, foolscreen only)

I would buy 16x9 OAR releases of all these in a second.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Good film.

Unfortunately, Donald Sutherland ruined the whole film for me with his performace. Cant even watch it when he comes onscreen.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, Donald Sutherland ruined the whole film for me with his performace. Cant even watch it when he comes onscreen.
I didn't like his lines, but I like what he did with them. He was very convincing, at least to me he was.

For me, Billy Baldwin was the weak link in the cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks