What's new

Where Do You Buy Your DVD's So Cheap? (1 Viewer)

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I read alot of posts about people who say they never pay over $15 for a disc, and when they break it down, they average around $10 a disc. Do you mind me asking where you purchase your DVD's?

I am a full time college student, and work only 25 hours a week. I recently bought a new car that I have to pay off every month, and with other hobby's getting in the way, I need to start cutting down in the amount of money I spent on DVD's, although as most of you know by now, once you start, you can never stop.

Dean

Chris M

Second Unit
I'm in Canada so finding new titles at those prices are nearly impossible. So I buy Previously Viewed from rental stores. Never had a problem and there's a 15 day money back guarantee on the titles.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'd be willing to bet that most people who got their collections so cheap did so back before all of those dot com companies went out of business. 2-3 years ago it was a regular thing for sites like 800.com DVDExpress.com and Buy.com to offer deals at rock bottom prices (like three discs for $1, that was cool:) ). Those deals have come and gone. Now I keep my average price per disc down by watching retailers for sales and buying from a local video store that buys and sells used DVDs.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Columbia House. Other boards have extremely detailed information on how to maximize value there. Otherwise, be sure to check out Dave Lambert's Weekly Roundup in the Coupons and Bargains section for new releases as well as DVD Price Search. Amazon.ca has been a good source for many box sets recently.

For mainstream new releases a good deal will usually be had for around $15 and Columbia House will average around $9-$10 for older titles if you do it right. The only way you should expect to pay more is for box sets and more obscure titles that won't be discounted or eventually available from CH. Finally, watch for occasional sharp discounts from Best Buy or sales like on the Friday after Thanksgiving, where you can catch up on recent titles at a low price.

So, there you have the quick armchair guide to being a cheap collector. The only problem is that you soon wind up with way too many DVDs.

Ike

Screenwriter
Deep Discount DVD is cheap, but not rock bottom.
Like Carl said, the coupon days were great. I was getting into DVD right as they were ending. People used to have 50% pre-orders. Then it was 40, 30, now it's 20-10%. But the retail prices of DVD's have come down. It doesn't even out, but it makes it a little better.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes you can use Amazon's 'Share the Love' program to get GREAT prices on their products (it gives you an additional 10% off and there is ALWAYS a $5 off coupon you can combine it with). There is an entire section of DVDtalk devoted to it: http://www.dvdtalk.com/stl
But for speed and quality of customer service, I buy most of my DVDs from Deep Discount DVD. I suggest using the Priority Mail option ($4 more) with orders if you want it quick (~2-3 days) or the Standard (free) option if you don't mind waiting a week. :)
If you are interested in ANIME... I use The Right Stuf International (I am a member of their 'Got Anime?' club which can get ya 30% off preorders + another 10% off) and BestPrices (REALLY good prices on anime boxsets).
:D

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Rule #1 is that if you want a title, buy it the week it comes out. Prices rarely get better than they do the week of release. Check boards like this one and DVDTalk.com for upcoming deals to plan accordingly.

Rule #2: Buy (Blame) Canada! - As of late, the best place to pick up box sets and other expensive DVDs has been Amazon.ca, due to the weak Canadian dollar.

Rule #3: Wait. Unless the disc you want is extremely obscure, chances are someone (online or B&M) will put it onsale in the next 2 months. Best times to look are when a sequel/remake is coming out to theaters/video or around a holiday.

Rule #4: Rental pre-viewed: Although it used to be a real hit or miss tactic (many DVDs I bought from Blockbuster were unplayable early on), now there are guarantees to make sure you don't get a bum disc. Don't expect to find any rare stuff in their bins, but $9.99 for a disc (or two-disc) isn't bad. Just don't wait until the last copy is sitting on the shelf, cause they can go fast.

A lot of people brag at their per-disc $ average (over at DVDTalk's forums especially), but I would bet a lot of them own movies that they got for good deals that they will never watch or watch once. I'm certainly guilty of doing that a couple times (Supernova anyone?), but if you aren't sure about a movie, rent first or ask around with friends who share like tastes. That way you'll have all discs you like, and no shelf fillers.

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Since I'm pretty new to this obsession, *cough*, hobby I mean... I've been trying to build a collection by purchasing just about solely on-sale and bargain bin titles.
When I head to Target, Wal-Mart, CC or wherever on Tuesday (after finding the best price here) for my 1 or 2 new releases... I always spend some time scanning every DVD on sale. I always check every title under 10 bucks, and if I have time (since I usually go at lunch) I scan the 15 dollar ones as well. I've found tons of goodies that way.
Just today while grabbing Goldmember and Lilo & Stitch at Target, I scored Suicide Kings for $5.99 mixed in with the regular titles on their main rack :D
Now if I didn't use the cheap prices as an excuse to afford more DVDs, I'd be getting off cheap! lol

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
While the best deal at CH has gone away-- there are still some great deals to get if you know the system: Dvdtalk has an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING GUIDE on how to take Columbia House for $9 DVDs over and over again.
Their FAQ is so detailed- it even has lists of the nicer customer service reps (and the shitty ones too).
Get 5 DVDs for $.49, a 6th for $14.95, and 7th and 8th for $19.95 each. 8 DVDs for $9.29 average. You make sure to get expensive titles for your .49 titles (say $30+ MSRP) and then buy rock bottom titles for your fulfillment titles (2 of them for $19.95).
Using their system and setup- you can order 8 discs at $9.29 avg price and cancel the same day. You never get annoying cards from columbia house or anything- you just get your DVDs with zero hassle. You just call, enroll, order, call back order, cancel. Done.
The DVD talk FAQ even has lists of the biggest BANG FOR THE BUCK titles (the ones with the highest MSRP for your $.49 titles) and the best titles to get for the $19.95 ones!
If you're looking to build a collection quickly- this is a good way. I usually sign up once a year and get the newer release stuff I've skipped at Best Buy!
-Vince

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
I like to paruse Blockbuster when they have sales on their pre-viewed disks. If you are patient enough, many of the new releases will fall to $9.99, previed. Combine that with a "buy 2, get 1 free" promo, and you can start a nice collection.

The quality is hit or miss, so I always look at the disc before I leave the store. The prices vary at each BB becuase each store's computer has an algorithm for inventory and price.

Also, the inserts can be missing from BB previews. I use BB for movies I want to own, but do not want to collect. Also, BB sometimes has different, edited versions of the movie. It is rare, but you still need to be aware.

Have fun,

Devin U

Second Unit
Columbia house has a deal right now, get 3 dvd's for 21.90 shipped with nothing else to buy. That works out to 7.30 a dvd. As mentioned before, dvdtalk.com has a entire forum devoted to CH and other DVD clubs. You wont get new releases with that deal, but a great chance to pick up some specialty titles (universal DTS discs, AF Bootleg cut, more I cant think of) at unheard of prices using that code (XB6D).

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
Use Columbia House sometimes. Best Buy, Costco, Circuit City, and a friend that works at a "Store" gets a discount, and can sell them to me for $15 most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks