What's new

Where can I take my CLD-79 to have it calibrated? (1 Viewer)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I've been having some problems with a brand new CLD-79 I just bought, and I'm not sure if it's the player or the discs. My guess is that it's been banged around a bit in the box since it was manufactured (1997). I've posted about some of the problems already, but to sum up:

- Has difficulty tracking some discs toward the end of the first side. Plays most discs flawlessly though. What makes it really weird is that I have a couple warped discs (center is bowed inward slightly) that play just fine, while other seemingly perfect discs have tracking problems.

- Won't initiate DTS output unless another disc with a digital soundtrack of some type (CD or LD with digital soundtrack) is inserted and started beforehand.

I have several Pioneer service centers close to me, but my experience with service centers is that I usually know more about the problem than they do (can you say Wega?). I'd like to find someone who knows what they're doing.

Where can I go?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
There is a guy named Kurtis Bahr, who posts once in a while on alt.video.laserdisc. He fixes laser discs players and is said to be the best there is (according to many others on alt.video.laserdisc). His e-mail is Kurtis Bahr. I have no first-hand experience with him (knock on wood), but you might give him a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks