What's new

Where can I get the uncut "Eyes Wide Shut"? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I ordered the uncut Japanese DVD of "Eyes Wide Shut" from CD Japan (www.cdjapan.co.jp) recently, only to discover that the title is out of stock, my order cancelled.
I'd REALLY like to get my hands on this title, particularly the Japanese version of the disc. I tried HMV Japan (didn't see it) and Amazon Japan (couldn't understand the all-Japanese site).
Any other suggestions?
Heck, if anyone from Japan reads this, could you just run down to the store for me and buy a copy? I'll be happy to pay a bit extra for your troubles.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Hong Kong, R3 disc NTSC

U.K., R2 disc PAL

France, R2 disc PAL

There is also a Hong Kong VideoCD by Era Home Entertainment...NTSC format.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...and, by the way, the movie was not "cut" anywhere - the American release features a bit of digital fiddling to protect the average, fundamentally decent and innocent-of-sexual-perversions American from having to watch certain naughty goings-on... the rest of the world's - admittedly thoroughly depraved - population is allowed to see every little bit that the late Mr Kubrick wanted to show...
(signed) Passing Pervert
. . . . . .

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The Hong Kong R3 version is an official Warner release and uses the same transfer as the far more expensive Japanese R2 version. The HK release can be had for about $16.

Jeff

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Thanks for the tips everyone.
I'm afraid a PAL version isn't an option for me. I'm not set up for PAL, and the speed-up would bother me too much if I were.
Mark; are you sure that Region 4 disc is anamorphic? I was definitely under the impression the EVERY home video version of "Eyes Wide Shut" was full frame.
Finally, can anyone tell me what the heck this is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1540370154
The seller claims it's a Japanese DVD of the film, but what is up with the packaging? As far as I've seen, the Japanese DVD has the same package design as the US release. This one even has some business about "CD-ROM" on the upper left-hand corner. What is that all about?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'll have to check again. DVD Profiler says 1.33:1 but I swear it was widescreen when I watched it last. I could be wrong.
edit: I just looked at the back of the cover (shot from dvd profiler) and it says 1.85:1 and then 4x3 transfer. I'll go dig out the dvd and have a look this afternoon.
Link Removed

Chad B.

Second Unit
The R4 is fullframe, the backcover has a misprint. I used to own it and can confirm that fact. It is indeed uncut though. :)

TobyV

Auditioning
i think Full Screen is Kubricks prefered ratio for this film anyway, like with a lot of his films.

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
looking for the uncensored version..
the reg 3 hong kong edition..
Hivizone doesnt seem to have it..
can anyone reccomend a good place to get it..
Im in the US

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
All home video versions of Eyes Wide Shut have music substituted during the orgy scene. The US cinematic version has lyrics from the Bhagavad Gita. This was replaced in foreign theatrical release with other lyrics (though the underlying music remains the same). I can't remember whether it was something else in an actual language or just gibberish lyrics on the replacement. But if you compare the UK and US DVDs to the CD soundtrack (which has the original uncensored music) it's clear that the lyrics are indeed different. So there is NO home video version of EWS that properly reflects Kubrick's intentions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks