What's new

Where can I get a cheap plunge router and circle jig? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I figure since I will be building a sonosub soon I will need these tools. Any suggestions as to what brand/model I should get? Of course, the cheaper the better but it must be effective.
Thanks!

SalMaglie

Stunt Coordinator
Well about the cheapest plunge router you can buy new is the Skil 1823 for a little over $60, but it'll only take 1/4" bits. Buy it locally at a place with a liberal return policy if you're going to be using it regularly. The Skil 1840 has a little more power, and can be bought new for about $90. Next step above Skil would be a Sears Craftsman, or a Ryobi. These sell for about $100-120 new. FWIW, this month's Home Depot ad in my area has the Ryobi for $94 and change and Home Depot has a liberal return policy if something goes wrong.
If you're going to be using that plunge router often, I'd recommend something from Bosch, Porter-Cable, Makita, or DeWalt. However, these will run you about $180-250 for one of their low end plunge routers with 1 3/4-2hp, but they'll take a beefier 1/2" bit which won't be as prone to overheating as a 1/4" bit. Porter Cable and Bosch offer pakcages with fixed and plunge bases that are versatile, but these are $200 items. A Freud FT2000EP is a bargain at $179 with it's 15 amp motor and variable speed.
Other options to get some of these better made routers at a cheaper price is to buy a factory recondioned model(Amazon.com has a DeWalt DW-615 1 1/4 hp plunge router with soft start for $110), pawn shop, ebay, or sometimes local service centers has these brands at reduced prices that've been repaired.
For a circle jig, a lot of poeple use the Jasper and a quick search found one on sale for $15.95 at http://shop.store.yahoo.com/squaredrive/ja-0206.html
McFeely's is also a great source for square drive screws which are great compared to normal phillips type screws.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't get the model 600 Jasper jig. It lacks the flexibility of the model 200, which is the best one for speaker building. You'd be pretty bummed if you get the 600 only too find it doesn't cut the size hole you need.
The ebay router is just one from Harbor Freight or one of the other low end off shore companies. They can be purchased everyday for $60. Also the Jasper jigs don't fit them

SalMaglie

Stunt Coordinator
My bad for posting the wrong circle jig. The Jasper 200 can do 2-1/4" to 18-3/16 circles while the Jasper #600 only does 7-18" circles. My Parts Express flyer in the mail today has the Jasper #200 on sale for $39.95. I'd stay away from the Harbor Freight/cheap chinese import models of routers, but that's just me. Yes they're cheaper than just about anything, but they're also cheaper built than just about anything else.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Here is a pretty cheap circle jig (free if you have scraps laying around). If all you're going to make is a sonosub, then the jaspar is overkill. A DIY jig is good enough for the large circles of a sono project. Aa for a cheap router- if this is a one shot project, try the equipment rental shops in your town or see if a friend/relative will loan you one.
http://members.aol.com/brianf1429/sub/sub12.jpg
[Edited last by Brian Fellmeth on November 17, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks