What's new

What about this plunge router ? (1 Viewer)

Jay_Garcia

Grip
I am in the beginning stages of making my sonotube shiva sub, and am at the stage where I need to cut the end caps. The father-in-law has a nice jig saw, but then after some surfing, I found this -- Chicago Electric Cheap 1hp Plunge Router

I know its $29 bucks, but will it do the job for me? I really am trying to minimize cost on this project, so I dont want to spend $100 bucks on a router/circle jig to make perfect circle, but if I can get easier/better circles out of this $29 router than a jigsaw, I rather do that. Give me your opinions! Thanks!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
It will work for a one time job. I think if you're only going to make one pair of speakers then it will be ok. But you won't. :) You'll want to make something else...many somethings else probably. In which case the Chicago Electric router will not last you. Many a person has bought a cheap router only to have to buy a decent one after a few projects. It's a waste of money really. You'll end up having to buy a good router anyway, might as well do it right the first time. If you can't afford a good router now then I would hold off and just use the jig saw for the time being.

Also, a good router does not have to be too expensive. I've got a $100 Ryobi that is working excellent. Sure, I'd like a nice Bosch (Porter Cable, Hitachi, etc..) and one day I will have one. But the Ryobi is good enough to last me quite a few projects.

My $.02

- Dan

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
well on a lighter note, i just got the Porter Cable 690 router and i can't wait to start using it. my first bit is a nice 1/4 round over that will make my flexy oh so nice,

Now off to work so i can earn some money for a nice Rockler Router Table and moe bits, Lock Miter anyone?

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I've got the $100 Ryobi plunge router and I have had good luck with is as well. I've built a 7 speaker home theater. I set of mtms and 3 sub-woofers with this router. It has not shown much wear. The motor seems plenty powerful. The Jasper Jig, which I highly recommend, fits very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks