What about this plunge router ?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay_Garcia, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Jay_Garcia

Jay_Garcia Extra

I am in the beginning stages of making my sonotube shiva sub, and am at the stage where I need to cut the end caps. The father-in-law has a nice jig saw, but then after some surfing, I found this -- Chicago Electric Cheap 1hp Plunge Router

I know its $29 bucks, but will it do the job for me? I really am trying to minimize cost on this project, so I dont want to spend $100 bucks on a router/circle jig to make perfect circle, but if I can get easier/better circles out of this $29 router than a jigsaw, I rather do that. Give me your opinions! Thanks!

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

It will work for a one time job. I think if you're only going to make one pair of speakers then it will be ok. But you won't. [​IMG] You'll want to make something else...many somethings else probably. In which case the Chicago Electric router will not last you. Many a person has bought a cheap router only to have to buy a decent one after a few projects. It's a waste of money really. You'll end up having to buy a good router anyway, might as well do it right the first time. If you can't afford a good router now then I would hold off and just use the jig saw for the time being.

Also, a good router does not have to be too expensive. I've got a $100 Ryobi that is working excellent. Sure, I'd like a nice Bosch (Porter Cable, Hitachi, etc..) and one day I will have one. But the Ryobi is good enough to last me quite a few projects.

My $.02

- Dan

3. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

well on a lighter note, i just got the Porter Cable 690 router and i can't wait to start using it. my first bit is a nice 1/4 round over that will make my flexy oh so nice,

Now off to work so i can earn some money for a nice Rockler Router Table and moe bits, Lock Miter anyone?

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

5. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I've got the $100 Ryobi plunge router and I have had good luck with is as well. I've built a 7 speaker home theater. I set of mtms and 3 sub-woofers with this router. It has not shown much wear. The motor seems plenty powerful. The Jasper Jig, which I highly recommend, fits very well.