What's new

Where are all the shooting games for GC? (1 Viewer)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I should probably do a search but, I decided to come here instead. I was at my local Fry's Electronic's recently and notice a game called Vampire Nights for PS2. It looks pretty sweet. I don't have a PS2 and am not about to buy one for that reason. I have A GC, when are all the shooting game coming?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Look Link Removed for some release dates.
Next year we should get James Bond (March), Turok (August), Duke Nukem (TBA) and Perfect Dark (TBA).

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
I think he is referring to lightgun games. And I know of none. But, I haven't been keeping up on it either. Yes, the new Metroid is a FPS.

Sean

paul_v

Second Unit
I always wondered how the light gun technology works...does it use the reflection off the TV or something?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The end of the gun actually takes a picture of the TV that it is looking right at, matches it up with the image being produced from the console, and then decides that the person has shot that one specific spot and then produces a gun shot sound/visual effect and awards you with proper credit (points, etc.).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I doubt that very much, Morgan - remember, they had light gun games for the 2600 and its .7MHz processor and 768 bytes of RAM, and there's no way that could do the sort of comparison you describe.

Now, I'm half talking out of my rear here, but when I hooked the Atari/Sega light gun up to my Atari 800XL computer, it functioned the same way as a light pen, so I'm guessing the mechanisms are similar. The light pen, if I recall, worked by reading some sort of synchronization information in the video signal used by the TV. The light gun works the same way, only from a distance. That's why in old light gun games, at least, the screen flashed bright white when you pulled the trigger - it made the signal stronger and easier for the light gun to read.

Of course, I don't know as this would work for projection or LCD screens, so maybe what Morgan describes is how newer light gun games work (how would they handle some kind of partial obstruction of the screen, though?). Someone who has actually programmed the things less than ten years ago could probably explain it better.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My explanation was more of lamens terms, seeing as how the gun doesn't take a picture of the screen, but I was explaining it without getting technical, seeing as how I don't know too much about it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
My explanation was more of lamens terms, seeing as how the gun doesn't take a picture of the screen, but I was explaining it without getting technical, seeing as how I don't know too much about it.
Laymen's terms.

But it wasn't though - you were completely wrong. The gun /doesn't/ 'take a picture' - it uses the beam refresh of the screen, combined with the colour of the pixels to estimate where it is.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It compares what it is looking at for one spot to the actual image created by the game and then makes the proper effects. It doesn't "take a picture", but if thats a simple way to think of it, then it could be a working explanation.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Is Rare get it's proper place (making it) in James Bond, or is EA going to do another dung job?

-Bert

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Rare are not involved in Agent Under Fire. I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions about what that means.

I don't know about any lightguns coming for the Cube, but then I don't know of any for the N64 either. I'd suggest grabbing a cheap PSOne and either Time Crisis or one of the Point Blank series, as you're unlikely to see a Cube one in a hurry.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
True, but I wouldn't recommend a PS2 as a second console just to get a lightgun game. Mind you, I struggle to justify the idea of forking out the money for Time Crisis 2 and a Guncon 2 even if you've got the console; it lasts all of an evening to get bored of in my experience. Still, each to their own I suppose. I'm just not one for lightgun games.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
TC2 has a buncha minigames and such that entertain for a long time, but thats for another thread.

I really can't wait for there to be a popular shooting game for GCN because I want to be able to play more shooting games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks