What's new

When HD-DVD is available, will they re-release current movies in HD-DVD? (1 Viewer)

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Ofcourse they will. Heck, they even re-release movies on the dvd format with just a slightly better picture.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
It is doubtful they will re-release their films on HD-DVD, and rank in additional profits to keep their home video companies in business.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
All movies except, of course, for The Star Wars Triology. George Lucas will come out and say that he wants to do something special for the fans and instead of releasing the SW films on HD-DVD, he wants to wait until the new V-HD-DVD, or virtual high definition DVD comes out into the market. This will allow his fans to actually become part of the movie itself. They will be allowed to shoot first or wait for Greedo to shoot first, if they so choose. Rumored release date for these discs will probably be 2020, and that is assuming George is still with us by then.

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
Not before they release the "Super DuperBit Enhanced Deluxe edition" of those movies which offers the superior video and audio they had all along but wanted to sell us in increments to drive us nuts.

Then, they might give us the HD versions. But beware purchasing the initial HD versions as their quality will be inferior to the HD deluxe version...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Kevin M.,
If you'd like a 'non-sarcastic' (although I believe everyone was just 'having fun', with your post) answer;
Just use the D-VHS releases as your model.
Only, much, much BIGGER!!!
Peace Out!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The DVD model on a smaller scale and the DVHS model on a larger scale. It will be somewhere in between (probably closer to the DVHS side of the equation) with some older titles being released and newer titles being released at a slower rate than you see with DVD right now. It will be more of a nieche market because there are still a vast amount of 4x3 interlaced TV's out there.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Depending on how good standard dvd looks on Hi-Def sets, I won't re-buy the HD-DVD versions unless they are among my very, very favorite films.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
... and the first movie to be announced and released?

T2: Ultra-Mega-Extreme Edition

It will include all previously released materials from all other releases (no matter what the format) and include a new documentary, "Bitchin'!", which chronicles the reaction of an assortment of Ultimate T2 fans upon hearing of a new release of their beloved film in HD and demonstrates what kind of wild stunts they will do to get a free copy.

It will also include 8.1 sound, and be programed to be part of the newly released Smell-O-Vision HDTV accessory.

Each frame will have been scanned in and triple-remastered and digitally enhanced to remove unwanted facial hair from its stars.

It will also come in a limited edition platinum box with the T2 logo embossed on the front cover, along with a personal thank you note from Arnold Schwarzenegger and the president of Artisan for continuously lining their pockets with cash when they need it the most to run for political office.

MSRP: $49.99 Street Price $19.99 Street Date: TBA

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Anyone with an update on the likely year in which say 100 films will be out on high def dvd? I think it will be sooner than some are saying - bluray may release Columbia Tristar (Sony films) as early as next year as Sony has already approved the copy protection for blueray. Juat a guess but Sony is backing bluray, approved copy protection - so it would make sense to give users another reason to buy the player/recorders - prerecorded movies! Apparently the Sony playstation 3 will be bluray playback compatible (and if its anything like PS2 there will be 50 million players on the market 3 years from launch - ie from 2005).

I think we could have some software on bluray in 2004.

I've no idea about HD-DVD - I think everyone is still debating the platform let alone copy protection issues.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The DVD Forum should have selected the new codec for HD-DVD by now. EE Times Article. Other tid-bits is that Sony's 0.1mm Blu-ray was rejected in favor of Toshiba/NEC's 0.6mm blue-ray but Sony is still planning on releasing their format in Japan by early 2005. The difference between the 2 is that Sony's can hold more data but the discs have to be in protective caddy's since .1mm layered discs are easy to scratch.

And of course the big debate whether HD should be red laser or blue, or both. It turns the stomach... :thumbsdown: It feels weird to say but I've seen what DVD can do and I'm ready for the next format.

Edit-
Sony Corp. will unveil the first blue-violet laser-based product, the Blu-Ray Disc recorder, on April 10. With a suggested retail price tag of about $3,800, however, the product will be out of the reach of most buyers in the consumer market. But the potential demand for short-wave lasers is expected to grow significantly.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Of course they will. Why do you think that so many studios have been doing film-tape transfers to 1080P masters and *then* downconverting for DVD? They're building a 1920 x 1080 HD film library for use in the future (broadcast and pre-reocrded media).

... and the first movie to be announced and released?

T2: Ultra-Mega-Extreme Edition
You had me in *tears* with this post. I'm sure you're right too...it was even among the first D-VHS titles released!

dave :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Um....I was making a joke...it was obvious that the guys I was referring to were joking around and so was I....stating the obvious in a humorous manner..and such...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I got it.
Just thought it was a great way to start my post.
Since I had such a "serious" answer!:D

Kyle, thanks for the heads up!:emoji_thumbsup:

Damin, thanks for looking out for me!:emoji_thumbsup:

For me it's not when HD DVD comes our way, it's when a HD DVD player, with "ALL" the right features, at the "RIGHT" price, comes my way.

Enough comma's for ya?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If it's red laser and super duper compressed, then I think I'll pass thank you very much.

I'll definitely take Toshiba/NEC's blue laser disc (dual layered for more space) over normal DVDs with more compression.

On that same vein, I'd take Sony's Blu-Ray (dual layered version) over Toshiba/NEC's blue laser disc any day of the week. A lot more storage, it's protected, and a higher bitrate.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks