What's new

When British scientists choose world's funniest joke (1 Viewer)

Mohsen Sadeghi

Stunt Coordinator
I came across this today. The joke is funny but I would hardly call it the funniest ever. It should be that British sense of humor :)
British scientists unveil world's funniest joke
The Arts Report, CBC Radio
Scientists in Britain have revealed the results of their quest for the world's funniest joke.
Laugh Lab was organized in conjunction with the British Association for the Advancement of Science.
It collected votes from 100,000 people via the Internet to determine a winner from 10,000 entries.
The clear winner was a joke about the famous fictional detective Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick Dr. Watson:
"Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson go camping, and pitch their tent under the stars. During the night, Holmes wakes his companion and says, 'Watson, look up at the stars, and tell me what you deduce.'
"Watson says, `I see millions of stars, and even if a few of those have planets, it's quite likely there are some planets like Earth, and if there are a few planets like Earth out there, there might also be life.'
"Holmes replies, `Watson, you idiot. Somebody stole our tent.' "
The researchers also looked at differences in humour between men and women, and among people of 11 nations.
Men favoured jokes involving aggression, putting down women, and sexual innuendo.
Women preferred jokes involving plays on words.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The whole point is that it isn't the British sense of humour - that's the favourite joke averaged out across the world sample.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, the basic answer is 'yes' - at least, everywhere that's likely to have a widespread internet service. Believe it or not, Sherlock Holmes is one of the most widely-recognised cultural figures in the world.

Actually, I've heard the joke before in a couple of other permutations (e.g. Lone Ranger and Tonto rather than Watson and Sherlock Holmes).

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
haha, quite funny...
Marianne: Yasee, they were supposda be under the tent, but since they can see the stars, they were no longer under the tent and somebdoy stole it.. :)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
andrew: I can see if this is an Internet then, maybe. But honestly? I'd say a decent chunk of the US population couldn't identify him, at least in the younger generations. And outside of the English language? I doubt it even more.

Mohsen Sadeghi

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan Peter wrote:

andrew: I can see if this is an Internet then, maybe. But honestly? I'd say a decent chunk of the US population couldn't identify him, at least in the younger generations. And outside of the English language? I doubt it even more.
I agree. It is hard to believe people in other parts of the world would consider the joke funny, especially if they have not read the stories and do not know about Watson's constant effort to be as analytical as Holmes.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
It doesn't matter if anyone knows who Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson are - it only matters that they know what tents and stars are!
Thanks, NickSo, I get it now! ;)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
That joke would be moderately funny if any two other characters were inserted in Sherlock and Watson's place. It is those two that really make the joke.

Ike

Screenwriter
I can assume clean jokes only then? I have to admit, I think that joke's actually quite, well...stupid.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Way back when my daughter was in day care, she came home and told a version of that joke... ahhhh memories :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
As I said in the previous post and re-iterate here, believe it or not, Sherlock Holmes is one of the most widely-recognised cultural figures in the world. Whether you think so or not, Holmes and Watson are extremely well-known across the literate world.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Oh, this definitely reminded me of that great Monty Python sketch. I thought at first that's what this thread was going to refer to. Now that was a funny sketch.

Anyone who read or heard the joke would instantly die of laughter. To "win the war", English soldiers would drive around Europe broadcasting the joke in German (so they themselves wouldn't understand it). The Germans would start dropping like flies. In order to translate the joke into German they used a team of translators who could only translate one word each, since they couldn't read the whole thing.

And the first casualty of the funniest (yet deadly) joke: the creator!

Funny stuff this sketch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks