What's new

What's you're prefered music listening level? (1 Viewer)

BruceD

Screenwriter
SPL level sensitivity is directly related to frequency content. This is the purpose of the "A" and "C" weighting on the SPL meter. Most SPL levels you see referenced for damaging to the hearing are "A" weighted levels.

i.e. just listening to higher SPL levels of music for a few hours (especially if the SPL meter is recording lots of bass) may certainly be OK, I'm talking "C" weighting and 85+dB.

If you do an experiment in your listening room, you will probably find the "C" weighting measures about 10dB less than the "A" for the same input. The "A" weighting is biased towards the frequencies our ears are most sensitive to, 1000-4000Hz.

The workplace SPL limits for human exposure is listed as an "A" weighted chart in the RS meter's manual.

scott cerv

Stunt Coordinator
"Have you listened to Paul Simon's 'Graceland' album? The song right after 'You Can Call Me Al' (2nd song on the 2nd side on the LP) starts with a drum that's pretty startling in it's dynamics. Overall, I was pretty surprised at the dynamic range in that album. I agree with you though, for the most part pop and a lot of rock recordings are dynamically very compressed"

This is why I record every show I go to (AKG 481>PS-2>modSBM-1>D8)! You should see the differece in the wave file of a live show vs. a store bought!! Dynamic range is awesome!

SC

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
DBX.. Range expander. They also made a neat little item called a pop filter. It was used to quiet those nasty vinyl scratch problems. Had one...sold it.

Marc H

Second Unit
I'm proud of my current two channel system; it's reached the stage where it's not so much loud but big sounding if you know what I mean. You can still carry on a conversation clearly but still get a whallop like it's live. Totally painless :)
Now I have to try and duplicate that experience in the home theatre (if only money grew on trees, eh?)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
What do you have in your 2-channel system? How can you post a message like that and not provide the rest of the details? :)

Marc H

Second Unit
Saurav,
It's a pair of Energy Veritas V2.8 tri-wired to an Adcom GFA5802 rated at 450 watts RMS into the 4 ohm load of the V2.8 with clean peaks to over 1000 watts. I have yet to get the clipping lights to fire up on the amp and I've been trying hard :)

Larry B

Screenwriter
Martin:

Hearing a faint ringing in your ears at night is not necessarily tinnitus. If the environment is soft enough you will hear a ringing from your nervous system.
To expand on your statement: Even in the absence of sound waves, Brownian movement causes the molecules of air around us to move. In a completely quiet environment, indivuals with excellent hearing can detect these molecules as they tap gainst our eardrum. Additionally, one will sometimes hear a pulsatile "swooshing" sound at night, especially when lying down. This results from the proximity of a blood vessel to our ear drum; thus, we are hearing the flow of blood through the vessel.

Larry

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Depending on the blood vessels and veins in my head and what particular hairs are just barely contacting my pillow I often hear the rate a which my heart is beating. This is a rather weird affect. Another rather unrelated and annoying occurance is when I run or exercise vigorously and my eustation tube opens up and I can hear my voice travel to my ears via the tube. Really hate when that happens, but it is extremely rare and usually happens only when I'm nervous or over stressed from over eager exercise. Apart from those weird things, I think my hearing is general is ok. I do have some weirdness with the brain-stem timing of my right ear, as noted by a nose-ear-throat doctor a few years ago, but he wasn't overly concerned and I imagine my brain compensates. Yes, I am a freak of nature :) I wonder if it has any bearing on the fact that I am super sensitive to speakers wired out of phase, and I also crave the ear filling massaging affect of certain bass frequencies to such a degree that I am addicted to bass :) I don't think I have significant hearing loss though. I spent a few times at concerts in bars that I very seriously regret, but when I had my hearing checked, they said is was not below average and somewhat normal for my age. Probably on the lower of the limit though, as I'm sure I have experienced at least SOME hearing loss. Luckily not TOO MUCH. ZERO hearing loss should be your goal as it results in maximum enjoyment from music and maximum ability to live life normally :)

Nate Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Hah, I went to an aerosmith concert last July and my ears rang real loud for a constant 3 days. Only after those 3 days did I start to notice it going away. Took about 1 1/2 weeks to be gone--talk about hearing loss :) It was the best concert I've ever been to in my life though, so I'd do it again if I had the chance.
I fear hearing loss but I also think that since I'm young now I might as well take advantage of it.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
but I also think that since I'm young now I might as well take advantage of it.
All young people think that way, it's the only way young people think. It's pretty interesting, really, how people become more careful about their lives after they've already spent most of it.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Part of the reason I like my Klipsch speakers is because I like listening to my music very loud at times. If I'm listening to background music while at the computer, my computer speakers are fine. If I'm listening to things like classical, jazz, etc., I like it to be loud, but not breaking the walls loud. If I'm stressed out, want to relieve tension, and am listening to rock, I listen to it LOUD , so loud that I annoy my family and neighbors, so loud that my walls crack and dams break down. Then, afterwards, I'm at peace. Not only is the stress gone, but I can't hear my kids arguing, my wife complaining, my dogs barking, or the neighbors at my door trying to tell me to keep it down.

KyleGS

Second Unit
I hate to change the subject but I am a car audio buff and it is nothing to have a "daily driver" hitting high 150's... I wouldn't dare do it (150's) but I have listened to some strong 140's and it hurts. I jumped out of the car fast. I didn't realize how much louder car audio is than Home audio. :eek:

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Nate, bring ear plugs with you and if its too loud, use the ear plugs. I used to bring them with me all the time at concerts and believe me, if you're more worried about looking cool than caring for your hearing, you're missing out. I wore ear plugs when I used to go to hard core punk and metal shows in the late 80's and early 90's. 99% of the people I offered my extra ear plugs to always wore them. You'd be surprised how much better it sounds with the ears plugs, IF the sound is already prohibitively loud. Hearing loss is real. Ear plugs are easy to use and save your hearing for the future. I saw Aerosmith 3 times and I was not close enough to need earplugs :frowning:

kevitra

Second Unit
Ear plugs are (to me) a necessity at concerts. You can actually understand what the singer is saying between songs. Plus your ears don't ring for a day after the show.

Nate, I am 26 and realized when I was 20 that you need to be careful. I cannot imagine having partial hearing loss in 10 years. I enjoy this hobby too immensely to risk it. Plus, it dosen't bring any better enjoyment at 100db vs 80 at a concert (not to me at least).

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
There is one thing I find interesting, and that is the liability of concert performers for hearing loss. They are negligent because they do not advise participants to wear ear plugs and yet not wearing ear plugs causes hearing loss. I think there is a liability issue there.

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
As I recall, some bloke sued the Smashing Pumpkins for causing him permanent hearing damage. Wonder what happened to the case... so many rock bands/concert venues would be liable if the precedent was set.

Cheers,

Mal

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
People need to just take responsibility for their own decisions. Looking for somebody to sue in hopes of "cashing in" is just pathetic IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks