What's new

What's your favorite arcade game ever! (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
A couple of people do remember Pengo. :) If I ever win the lottery one splurge will be tracking down and buying a Pengo machine.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Defender Stargate
Michael,
Is that a real game or just a clever reference to the show Newsradio?
wink.gif

------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Street Fighter II
- yes, I'm still Pikeville City Champion of Street Fighter II
Honorable Mention
Double Dragon
- I still think the machine gun is a cheat.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Dome: You're only Pikeville City Champ because we never got to face off. mwahahahahahaha! "Here comes a new challenger!" RAH!!!!!
My all-time favorites go back to the hey-day of arcades, with stuff like Hogan's Alley and Galaga instantly coming to mind.
However, most recently (well, within the past couple of years) a couple of friends and I discovered an arcade game by Konami that just completely rules the world. It's called "Terraburst". It's a 1-2 player game where you go through a city shooting up aliens. However, the gun that was with this game was almost like a real assault rifle (though colored blue and pink) and even had a shoulder strap. Being a major fan of the movie Predator and somewhat a fan of Aliens, a game where you could go after alien creatures and destroy pretty much anything in your path was pretty exciting. I'd have to say it's my current favorite game, though for whatever reason, Konami never released it to home systems. I discovered the game two years ago at Paramount's King's Island and then a year later my friends and I went back over the summer and the game was still there. We spent almost 10 dollars a piece on the game, it was that much fun. I would equate it to being the best sequel to Contra that Contra never had. :)
I think the reason a lot of Arcades are going extinct (aside from the popularity of home video game systems) is that video game makers are more concerned with graphics than gameplay. All these new games pretty much play the same way. It's just bigger and better graphics. Did they ever come out with a new, truly innovative fighting game? Nope. They just come out with new ones with new characters and better graphics, using pretty much the same old style of gameplay. There aren't any truly original or clever games out there, and in my opinion, that's why arcades aren't as popular as they used to be. The games just aren't fun these days (aside from Terraburst). :)
[Edited last by Wes Ray on September 19, 2001 at 01:49 AM]

Trevor H

Second Unit
"Ghosts & Goblins"
"Crazy Climber"
"Polaris"
and I can't remember it's name but you are a knight and you upgrade your armour and weapons by collecting coins called "zennies" anybody remember it's name?
------------------
Trevor Harder
My HT Page
[email protected]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wes, the mention you made of Terraburst (which I'm NOT familiar with) in the way of "recent" arcade games, made me realize that I unfairly left one off my list.
Hydro Thunder.
The only other "recent" coin-op on my list was Gauntlet Legends. But Hydro Thunder was so cool, it made me buy a DreamCast pretty much just for it. It remains one of 4 discs I have for that unit.
Keep in mind I own 28 game consoles going back to the days of Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, & Microvision. I have 556 titles for those 28 consoles (counts do not include Windows 98 and compatible PC's). So it's not out-of-line that I picked up the console. BUT, it was mostly for the best, most-kickass version of HT I could afford (if I could put the coin-op in my dining room, I would! :) ). Highly original game. Not the concept so much, but the execution was originally done, and so perfectly too. High thrills and a great big pat-on-the-back to the guys at Midway. Which I've heard IS no more, coin-op wise.
frown.gif
So this was probably their last hurrah.
"David, you said Midway Coin-Op is gone? Where'd you here that?"
From a site I go to, the Giant List of Classic Game Programmers (a site that everyone on this thread should visit, to learn the names of the guys who wrote what you're voting for!).
http://www.dadgum.com/giantlist/index.html
Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Richard Travale is correct GALAGA was my favorite also. I still play it on occasion.
Best pinball game that is better than T2 would be "Twilight Zone". T2 is awesome but no as good as TZ imo.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Now THIS is a topic right up my alley :)
It's hard to list one all-time favorite, so I'll list a few:
TRON & Discs of Tron (still the coolest!)
Galaga
Tempest
NBA Jam
Track & Field
P-47
Battlezone
&
Star Wars (cockpit version)
Also,the best pinball machine is easliy Attack From Mars!!! (somehow,someday I WILL own this..)
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Buster Bros. My God how I loved to play that game. I'd pull all nighters at the Kwik Shop across the street from my house playing 'till the sun came up. Ahhhh, the memories.
Honorable mentions:
Defender First discovered it at the Huntsville Space Center when I was a lad.
Joust
Donkey Kong
Street Fighter II I could whup ass on the the Super NES version.
Asteroids
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
The best pinball game ever is EASILY the Indiana Jones one from a few years ago. I could play that pinball game for hours on end.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Ahhh...the memories! In no particular order:
1) Spy Hunter
2) Ghouls and Ghosts
3) Joust II (you could turn into a BIG Pegasus
cool.gif

4) Elevator Action (I could rock this one)
5) Golden Axe
6) Bad Dudes
wink.gif

7) Krull
8) Afterburner
Take care,
Chuck

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
When all is said and done, the venerable (by today's standards) Street Fighter II will be remembered most!!!
--
Holadem - Ken, master of the Sho-ryu-ken!

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Some of my favorites:
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
The House of the Dead 2
Street Fighter III: New Generation
X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Pac Man
Daytona USA
Star Wars Trilogy
Time Crisis 2
Mortal Kombat II
Virtua Cop 2
Star Wars Racer

There are also classics such as Donkey Kong, Pong, Galaga and Space Invaders which I've played on consoles, but not in the arcades.
------------------
My DVD collection

Miles_W

Second Unit
Man, for me it had to be.
1. Xevious
2. Missile Command
3. I robot
Miles
------------------
Miles
DarkSide Member since(93)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Stun Runner
Robocop
that one Kangaroo boxing game
Centipede
Spy Hunter
Street Fighter 2
WWF Royal Rumble and Wrestlefest
Tetris
Elevator Action
Gauntlet
~T

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Some of my faves, in no particular order:
1. Final Fight
2. TMNT (the 4-player one)
3. Street Fighter 2
4. NBA Jam - I dumped some major cash into this thing, then the SNES version came out the same week as my birthday. I still love this game. Too bad I don't have the $$$ or the space for an arcade cabinet.
5. Donkey Kong
6. Narc - this one was a blast. Nothing like shooting coke-heads with a rocket launcher and watching body parts go flying. And it had the "Winners don't use drugs" screen.
7. Double Dragon
8. Ninja Gaiden - way different than the NES version. Although the NES one is pretty cool, too.
9. Golden Axe
10. Play Choice 10 - I liked that you had a time limit to cram as many games as possible on 1 quarter.
Great thread, btw.
Jason

Denward

Supporting Actor
This is a great thread. Really brings back memories. My quarter popping college days were 1981-85 so most of these are going back a ways.
1. Missile Command
2. Centipede
3. Arkanoid
4. Sprint Racer
5. I can't remember the name of the game with the robots and the, "Intruder Alert, Intruder Alert" warnings.
6. Punch Out (although I sucked at it)
Since I don't find myself in arcades very often anymore, I know I'll never invest the time to get proficient at many of the current games with the joysticks and six button combination moves.
------------------

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
1.Daytona USA
2.Out Run
3.Sinistar
4.Karate Champ
5.Zaxxon
6.Crossbow
7.Star Wars
8.Spy Hunter
I could go on and on.Daytona is #1 probably because it has taken the most money from me.But I don't regret any of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks