What's new

What's up with Disney's Pinocchio? (1 Viewer)

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know what Disney's plan is for Pinocchio?

I know it's going OOP on 01/31/02 and it's not on the Platinum list.

So is there going to be a Special Edition coming out soon?

My wife wants to pick this up if nothing's coming out in the near future.

But if a SE is in the works, than our VHS version can do for now - versus a no-extras DVD.

Thanks,

Rob

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
There's no known plans at this time. The only info known is that it goes OOP this week and that's all she wrote until they get around to it again. Sorry.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
But if a SE is in the works, than our VHS version can do for now - versus a no-extras DVD.
To each his own, Rob. However, if your wife enjoys this film I would pick it up soon. Are you really saying you would sit on your VHS copy for a Disney Ice-Age rather than own a DVD version because of limited extras? That, I truly cannot understand. :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
A SE just needs extras.
The transfer on the current DVD is excellent. The only problem is that cel dust was not erased (like it was for the Snow White, Dumbo, and Fantasia DVD's) so you may think the print is dirty.
The sound is great...it's 4.0 and it's pretty clear (don't expect a bunch of surround effects. It's basically a regular mono to 5.1 remix...that's how it should be.)
It's one of the only DVD's I've seen (other than City Lights and Modern Times) that uses two layers fpr such a short movie. The clarity of the picture is perfect. No digital artifacts at all.
I got my disc for 19.99 at my local Ingles Video (Only place in my town where you can buy DVD's, buy china, and a gallon of milk under one roof. :D )

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I actually think the Pinocchio transfer is just OK. They were not quite as sophisticated at the digital clean-ups as they are today, and there are some strange artifacts in the backgrounds (freezing and pulsing grain patterns) along with some loss of subtlties in the color scheme. It is comparable to the previous remasters of Snow White and Bambi, but not as good as the more recent stuff, the ultimate example being Snow White Platinum. I agree that the 4.0 stereo remix is better than average for vintage mono material.
I hope an SE with a new transfer is announced soon, but nothing is certain and, above reservations aside, the current DVD is better than any VHS I have seen. :)
Regards,

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Check out this quote from DVD File's interview with some of the people behind the Tron disc

SL: I think where the budget factor comes in is really more when the window is right to do a big collector's edition. For example, one of my favorites is Pinocchio, which hasn't yet had the big Snow White or TRON treatment. I think it will eventually get there; it's just that they may do another release with only a little featurette and then a game.
Of course, this is said by someone who will not make the decision to release Pinocchio or not, but it is said by someone who is more familiar with the studio than most of us.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
One advantage the VHS has over either the Limited Edition or Gold Edition DVD is that it contains the a short documentary on the making of Pinocchio: A Rare Behind-The-Scenes Look At How Walt Disney Created This Legendary Masterpiece".

Since this didn't show up on either of the Pinocchio DVDs, I can only hope that this will turn up on a "Special Edition" in the future, much like the upcoming Peter Pan one. But nothing has been announced as of yet.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
Why haven't you already picked this up. If an SE comes out (doubtful) you can ebay or amazon the one you have. Get it now before it's too late.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks