What's up with Disney's Pinocchio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Dawn, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know what Disney's plan is for Pinocchio?

I know it's going OOP on 01/31/02 and it's not on the Platinum list.

So is there going to be a Special Edition coming out soon?

My wife wants to pick this up if nothing's coming out in the near future.

But if a SE is in the works, than our VHS version can do for now - versus a no-extras DVD.

Thanks,

Rob

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

There's no known plans at this time. The only info known is that it goes OOP this week and that's all she wrote until they get around to it again. Sorry.

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    A SE just needs extras.
    The transfer on the current DVD is excellent. The only problem is that cel dust was not erased (like it was for the Snow White, Dumbo, and Fantasia DVD's) so you may think the print is dirty.
    The sound is great...it's 4.0 and it's pretty clear (don't expect a bunch of surround effects. It's basically a regular mono to 5.1 remix...that's how it should be.)
    It's one of the only DVD's I've seen (other than City Lights and Modern Times) that uses two layers fpr such a short movie. The clarity of the picture is perfect. No digital artifacts at all.
    I got my disc for 19.99 at my local Ingles Video (Only place in my town where you can buy DVD's, buy china, and a gallon of milk under one roof. [​IMG] )

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I actually think the Pinocchio transfer is just OK. They were not quite as sophisticated at the digital clean-ups as they are today, and there are some strange artifacts in the backgrounds (freezing and pulsing grain patterns) along with some loss of subtlties in the color scheme. It is comparable to the previous remasters of Snow White and Bambi, but not as good as the more recent stuff, the ultimate example being Snow White Platinum. I agree that the 4.0 stereo remix is better than average for vintage mono material.
    I hope an SE with a new transfer is announced soon, but nothing is certain and, above reservations aside, the current DVD is better than any VHS I have seen. [​IMG]
    Regards,

6. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Check out this quote from DVD File's interview with some of the people behind the Tron disc

7. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

One advantage the VHS has over either the Limited Edition or Gold Edition DVD is that it contains the a short documentary on the making of Pinocchio: A Rare Behind-The-Scenes Look At How Walt Disney Created This Legendary Masterpiece".

Since this didn't show up on either of the Pinocchio DVDs, I can only hope that this will turn up on a "Special Edition" in the future, much like the upcoming Peter Pan one. But nothing has been announced as of yet.

8. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

Why haven't you already picked this up. If an SE comes out (doubtful) you can ebay or amazon the one you have. Get it now before it's too late.

John