What's new

What's up with calling 55 years and older seniors? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I was reading the paper the other day, and they were saying that my town needs more senior housing for 55 years old and up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used be that you have to be at least 65 to be considered a senior? What made them lower the age?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Early retirement? The Baby Boomers don't want to wait until they turn 65 to get freebee's and seniors discounts?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
55's when you can join AARP... I guess people are using that as the criterion rather than when you can collect social security.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
HEHE my dad has 10 years and 5 days until he's a senior. God he's OLD. Although considering he has one 20 yr old son and one 21 yr old son, he's young

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've been sent letters for me to join the AARP! I'm 31, maybe if I join, I'll also apply for social security too.

Jay

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the age at which you can join AARP is 50, according to their website. Actually, i says if you're 50 or older you can join and get all the gret benefits... I wonder if you can join even though you're under 50, but not get the benefits?

I don't know where the 55+ thing comes from when referring to seniors, other than that all the "senior living" communities I've seen have 55 as the minimum age to live in them.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I always tease my dad these days by saying that at least he can get free small coffee's at mcdonalds now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks