What's new

What's up with all the different casing standards? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
What's up with all these different cases for DVDs? we have Amary Keepcases, snappers, Alphas. Why can't the industry settle on one universal case that will hold any type of DVD and 2 disc set? all this stuff with cases is kinda confusing and each of these cases we have now has at least one disadvantage. Why not just build one single case that can also handle 2 disc sets as well. This has just been on my mind as of late. Any answers as to why? I don't recall this kind of stuff with VHS ( Inever did get into LD.) Why isn't there just one single case?
------------------
-Keith-
My DVD's

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Conformity sucks.
patriot.gif
I like the way my different types of dvd cases look on the shelf.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
because one company cannot keep up with the keepcase demand. And they all have patented hub designs. It's that simple
Jeff Kleist

James Nguyen

Second Unit
I wouldn't mind variances in case designs if the Warner Bros snapper went away forever, cast off to an eternity to burn in hell where it belongs...

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
There was variety in VHS cases though.
Some of the early cases were *huge*. The US has a lot of Cardboard cases (don't know if they all are), whereas the UK has smaller plastic cases.
I'm sure eventually a more common standard will emerge. We've already lost some of the cases (CD Jewel cases, Tall Jewel cases)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I laugh when people whine about the Snapper...remember the infamous Polydor Tray case, where there was a disc in a tray that slid out of the bottom, exposing only half of the disc, virtually guaranteeing that you'd scratch it when removing and replacing it? Now that was one BAD design. No wonder Polydor went belly up. Snappers I can live with.
Image, now that they've gone to keepcases, are using a three-prong variant on the Amaray, but it's very, very fragile. Of the discs I've received in the mail, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE has been broken and the disc floating with the debris. Thanks, but I'd rather have a Snapper.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
[Edited last by Mark Zimmer on October 30, 2001 at 12:03 PM]
[Edited last by Mark Zimmer on October 30, 2001 at 12:05 PM]

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Image has gone to keepcases? That's too bad, because I love their snappers. They used some real quality cardboard, and the liner notes were usually pretty great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks