What's new

What's the price tag on the OUTLAW 950? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Here's my feeling...yes the 950 has the goods, but given the exciting price of $899, the question becomes, will it sound and perform as well as processor/preamps costing twice as much?
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
It actually makes me nervous that this thing is still priced at $900.00. It sounds like it should be more so I hope the legendary Outlaw quality is all there. That is the most important thing to me.
Russ

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Quality is the most important thing for me too. If the 950 doesn't sound very good and it's not built well then I'm not going to buy it. I'd rather spend more money and have something of good quality ( even with less features) than a loaded preamp that doesn't sound good or it's not reliable.
There's no mention of the warranty. Is it going to be 2 years - like most things made in Malaysia/Taiwan - or more?
Razvan

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard that a new Sherwood Newcastle preamp will be released in the beginning of 2001 costing a few hundred dollars more than the Outlaw. I myself also am interested in the Marantz preamp that will replace the Marantz 9000 and the Sony replacement for the TA-E9000ES. The $900 price for the Outlaw 950 preamp worries me too - I'm afraid that the sound will not be very good. I also don't like the fact that the unit is made in Taiwan/Malaysia and that it will probably have a 2-year warranty ( Marantz offers a 3-year warranty while Sony has a 5-year warranty for its ES line). Sony has released a few software upgrades for the 9000 preamp so that I expect them to do the same for their new preamp. If you read the Outlaw statement you'll see that software upgrades are not at all certain and their preamp might become obsolete just a few months after its release.
Razvan

W

Will

I haven't seen any confirmation that Sony, Sherwood
or Marantz will sell a pre/pro with DPL II within the
next few months. Rumors yes. Confirmation no.
If we limit ourselves to what's available today, plus
what's been announced by reputable manufacturers,
what is the least expensive pre/pro with DPL II
excluding the Outlaw 950??

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Will,
I don't know of any cheap preamp with DPL II. There's no competition for the Outlaw right now. Let's hope that the 950 will be a well built machine that will sound as good as a $2000 preamp. Soon we'll find out...
Razvan

J

John Morris

Jeff H a VP at Sherwood told me that they would be debuting their new pre-pro at the show in January.
Also, I wouldn't assume that a preamp which costs $1000 is gonna be subpar. Hey, $1K is alot of money. Sherwood Newcastle showed how good a $600 preamp could be with their AVP-9080r. Although the frills were missing, the SN pre/pro was the cleanest sounding pre/pro that I have owned. Outlaw has a history of producing great products at low prices. I have no doubt that the 950 will follow on their tradition of offering fantastic values in HT.
Also, consider why those other preamps are so expensive. The Lexicon MC-12 is what, $12K? Do you think that that pre/pro has parts which cost 12 times as much as those in a 950? In reality, most of that $12K is probably going to the middle men in the Lexicon sale chain. Heck, probably $4K of that price goes to the B&M dealer who sold it. With Outlaw, you can keep the money that you would otherwise pay to the dealer...
biggrin.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Sean_B

Stunt Coordinator
We all knew that it would sell for around $900 many months ago so why is everyone so skeptical now?

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
John makes a good point. $900.00 is still a lot of money in my book. I guess what I truly don't understand is what could possibly make a pre/pro like the MC12 or Cinenova worth 12K or even 17K. I hear some of the Red Rose type stuff is even much more than that. Is this stuff that good or just so esoteric that peons like me couldn't appreciate it. I mean I appreciate the IDEA of it, just not the reality. However I was thinking I would like to have 6 of those Niro "Power Engines" driving my system.....
Russ

W

Will

quote:
Jeff H a VP at Sherwood told me that they would be
debuting their new pre-pro at the show in January.
He emailed me many months ago that their pre/pro would be
officially announced in September 2001, which has come
and gone. In his defense, though, it's hard to predict
the future.
Typically what's introduced at the January show are
concepts, prototypes and future products, not "real"
products available for immediate sale.
Historically, very few consumer products are first sold
in early January, since that is just AFTER the Christmas
buying season.
In any event, I hope SOMEBODY else introduces a pre/pro
with DPL II under $1500 in the next few months. But I'm
not optimistic. It looks like, for the next few months,
there's not going to be similarly-priced competition to
the Outlaw 950 pre/pro with DPL II.
[Edited last by Will on October 17, 2001 at 03:23 AM]

J

John Morris

Will: I hope you are wrong about the SN pre/pro. I went back and found that email from Jeff and in it he says that the R-963 would be available on September 5th and the new Pre/pro at the CE show in January. Still, you are right with regards to using the CE show to announce a product, not necessarily to make available for sale a product. I don't know... I guess we'll see.
I'm gonna be getting an Outlaw 950 anyway... early bird catches the worm. :)
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

W

Will

quote:
If you read the Outlaw statement you'll see that software upgrades are not at all certain and their preamp might become obsolete just a few months after its release.
I think most electronics become obsolete not long after
they're brand new. At the Model 950's price point, you
can get it, and in the future, get whatever makes it
obsolete at the SAME price point. You'll spend about
$2000 in TOTAL.
Or you could get another pre/pro with DPL II for over
$2000 today, that is supposedly upgradable in the
future. (Plus in the future you'd maybe have to
pay for the upgrade.)
Me, I'd rather get an Outlaw this year, then dump
it in the future, when something better comes out at
the same $900 price. I can't see spending LOTS more,
just for a "promise" of upgradability.
Upgrade promises aside, all pre/pro's eventually
become obsolete.
[Edited last by Will on October 17, 2001 at 06:48 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks