What's new

new outlaw product is a ... mid-range 7 ch. amp (1 Viewer)

David X

Stunt Coordinator
I'll leave it to others to post the new outlaw newsletter, but the new product promised to be announced before the all-star break is a 7 channel mid range power amp, intended to be paired with the 950, as an alternative to hi-end receiver products.

So what is the new product? On a strict, stand-alone basis, the product is a new power amplifier. Moderately priced, it is a seven-channel unit that will be Outlaw's first entry into the mid-powered amplifier market. However, we have designed it to be more than that, as you'll see below.

Why a mid-range powered unit when we already offer two of the most highly regarded high-powered units available today? The answer tells the other side of the story. As just noted, this introduction is more than a single stand-alone product. We have specifically configured this new amplifier so that it is a logical companion to the Model 950 in terms of physical size and price. Thus, when paired with the 950 and the proper combination of Outlaw PCA interconnects, the end result will be more than a match for virtually any high-end receiver available today in terms of performance, and it will be very competitive in price. Indeed, the combination will carry a price tag that will half that of some of the popular "super receivers", making you question the need for them.
Let the speculation begin (continue) ..

how much power?

-David

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Has anyone seen reviews of Outlaw's own 770 and 755 amps yet? Based on its hardware and specs it should compare favorably to the market favorites now - the Rotel RMB-1095, Parasound HCA-2205AT and Sherbourn 5/1500A

Jason Kent

Grip
There was one thread here where Steve Simon thought the power would be around 150 pc on the new Outlaw power amp - about to be specified.

I'm going to guess lower - the 1050 has been acclaimed for superb musical reproduction and I've seen no references by anyone that it has run out of power in a HT environment. And yet the Outlaw was 'officially' given power ratings below the typical Tokyo offering. (The performance of the the 1050 thus presented this anomaly as a major factor in 're-thinking' in the field)

So just thinking of the number of people with moderate size rooms and moderate budgets but will still love the 950 and all its possibilties - I can see Outlaw being daring to put out a definitely 'lower' power rating than 150 pc.They have previously been courageous in the 'mine is bigger than yours' game - so this will be no place to stop - and could DEFINTELY create a whole new market for them.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Exactly what 950 are we supposed to be mating this new amp to? The 950 doesn't seem to actually exist . It is dead before arrival.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
to be released sept, 2002,
no wait, oct 2002,
no, oops, wait, nov. 2002,
no, wait.............
:):laugh:

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I would be very surprised if this new amp had 150wpc, because that's not much difference from the 770. I would guess it would be more in the 75-100wpc category; any more than that and it will make the 770 look like a ripoff (assuming it's priced considerably less).

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
What do you guys think this will end up costing?
It has to cost less than the 755 to really make much sense from a marketing perspective, otherwise people would be better off purchasing the 755 and getting a separate two-channel amp for the back surrounds if/when they need it. My guess? $900-1000 for the amp, $1700-1800 for the amp+950 combo.

Also keep in mind they're talking about having this combination compete with receivers. I would think their target audience would be people who are looking at something like the Denon 4802 or the Onkyo 987.

David S

Stunt Coordinator
"Exactly what 950 are we supposed to be mating this new amp to? The 950 doesn't seem to actually exist . It is dead before arrival".

Not - I LOVE the one in my rack, and the one sittin in the box on the floor aint half bad either. Good/no make that great things come with patience!!

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Someone told me Rotel's 6x60 amp stickers at $599, so I'm thinking that price range for the 1050's 65 watts, maybe rated at 70 or 80 watts for sales brochure appeal.....

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Yes, in the 16 patient months since I first spoke to Scott about the 950, I have covered considerable miles. :D

Jason Kent

Grip
Just have to think it will be about 100 pc - that's more than enough for most uses - and it surely will have at least the quality of the 1050 sound which has already made a first-class reputation - also for music - so have to think we're looking at a potential winner!

Ashford Little

Stunt Coordinator
Since it costs nothing to speculate, I will guess that the new amp will come in a little more powerful at say 125 wpc.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
This announcement has me intrigued. I have a 1050, and I love it, it's certainly a great sounding receiver, but I discovered recently that it sounds noticeably better when I mated it with an Outlaw 750, which I had the opportunity to borrow for a week. Now I'm jonesing for an amp, but my wife didn't like the big 750 sitting on top of my rack. Also, I'd like 6 or 7 channels, since I have 6 speakers now and who knows what the next house will bring. The 755 and 770 amps are even better than the 750, but they're also bigger and even more overkill in my small room. It sounds like this amp might just be the ticket, if it's superior to the amps built in to the 1050. And with a slimmer size, it'll fit inside my rack.
I would predict that this amp would be more than 65 wpc, probably in the 100-120 watt range, simply because their $500 receiver puts out 65. The 950/little amp combo should be superior in power and sound quality to a 1050 alone. Plus it would allow 1050 owners to add an amp inexpensively to improve their systems.
If it sounds as good as the 750, I'm getting one! :D
KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallett17
Recent bookmarks