What's new

santa brought me a Krell, tag and classe! (1 Viewer)

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Actually thanks to my local dealers I was able to play with these pre-pros for a while. I own a 49tx and use a parasound 2205 (220x5) I bought the amp in anticipation of the outlaw 950 and like many others I got tired of waiting . I had heard so many great reviews and I found a price of $2550 shipped. I have been thrilled with the combo since, But i have been curious of pre-pros so I spent the past 3 weeks demoing gear in my home and I had each piece for about a week

tag mclaren av32r
classe ssp 30
krell showcase

this is what I have determined all the pre pros had slightly better sound quality and I mean slight there is no huge jump in sound quality contrary to some others, remember I used the 49tx as a pre pro only i found a bit more impact with explosions, two channel music was a bit better with the other pieces, the pioneers voice reproduction was almost on par with the others its amazing! multichannel music (dvda) was very close with all.
Its amazing how all the pieces have quite different sound characteristics

pioneer 49tx on the warm side
classe ssp 30 smooth
tag neutral
krell showcase some say bright I say very detailed ( parasound amp helped)
Btw i used avia and rat shack meter to set up the pre pros

heres the clincher for me I listen to 7 channel stereo with mcacc engaged and the sound field is seamless awsome sound the eg really works well and none of the others could match it as far as that goes so for me I was not willing to give up the eg for a slight improvement in sound quality I spent a week with each piece in my home doing back and forth test man I had fun,

out of the 3 I would have gone with the classe ssp 30 the sound was fantastic and for the retail price of 3k is the best bang for the buck out of the bunch.

To recap I found all the dedicated pre pros to be a bit better in sq but the pioneer is a loaded flagship with a ton of features , cool remote, multi room , auto setup and the eq 9 band adjustable is killer! so for me switching and spending more $ was just not worth it at this point. I have not ruled out the new anthem pre pro that is do out soon that could sway me

Btw when ht mag (I think it was ht) did there shootout with denon 5803, 49tx, and anthem amp combo the anthem did with the shootout but if the receivers were used as pre pros they would have done a much better comparison I know it sounds silly to say that but thats how I and many others use the 49tx. I paid $4000 us for my parasound/pioneer combo which is roughly the same price they were saying the receivers were and anthem amp combo was just a though

my assosiated gear

svs 20-39+
paradigm studio 100v2
studio cc
mirage bipolar towers (surrounds)
rp 91
kimber kable 4tc biwired

any ? on the pre pros i would be glad to answer them, Bob

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for doing the comparo Bob, mucho helpful ;)
Now if only the big A/V companies would release pre/pros based on their flagsip receivers processor section...
Cheers,
Mike

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Bob,

i don't really have any comments since im not in the market for a new pre-pro (have a Lex DC-1) and it is mostly always for movies so im satisfied.. but nonetheless, i enjoyed reading your write up.. thanks for the info.

Craig

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
The Classe better be "smooth" $2500, no THX Ultra, no Componet Video, really pretty basic. There is no comparison between the 30 and the 60, I think you could find a lot better price than 5k if you did a little research. The 60 is the real deal. . .

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Guy, your right the ssp 60 should very nice and I think it will have some sort of room set up or eq my local dealer did not have one in yet!

Bob

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
It is not to big a stretch to see the 60 around 4K maybe 38-3900, then it is not such a big reach for potential alternative to the Anthem (which I do like) and some of the other high priced spread.
I have used some Classe gear in the past, it doesnt take long to appreciate how competant they are. . .

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Guy, I live 4 hours from Canada I wonder what some of the prices are going for up there with the exchange rate! It might be worth the trip:D
Anyone have any prices with current exchange rates?
classe ssp 30
ssp 60
ssp 75
thanks Bob

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
"Obi" aka Robert George is a well respected friend of alot of folks and had the 49tx and recently upgraded to the Anthem over his 49tx. He was a skeptic about the differences in a real prepro as he only used his receiver as one in the end but his opinion has changed completely.

You might consider looking at an Anthem if you are looking at the other gear. A trip to Canada would probably pay off if you went that route.

AlanWms

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

I agree with Shane, an audition of the Anthem would be worthwhile.

You stated:
To recap I found all the dedicated pre pros to be a bit better in sq but the pioneer is a loaded flagship with a ton of features , cool remote, multi room , auto setup and the eq 9 band adjustable is killer! so for me switching and spending more $ was just not worth it at this point. I have not ruled out the new anthem pre pro that is do out soon that could sway me
After a 6+ mo search for the "right" pre/pro for my system I went with the Anthem. I also auditioned the Classe' SSP30, not the 75, and have never had the opportunity to audition the Krell or Tag. The Anthem, IMHO, for 2 channel performance is more neutral, has a deeper and wider soundstage and imaged better than the Classe. The Anthem also seems to cover the requirements you have for features, multi zone(2) and setup flexibility. I think the Anthem can also be purchased for the upper $2K range or better.

Alan

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Nothing wrong with Anthem except that at its price point it is about the only game in town, I would like to see more agressive competition, we would all benifit. As it is now I will stay with my Marantz AV9000 that I bought NIB for 900 bucks out the door, I was going to purchase the Anthem when this Marantz fell in my lap, 5.1 is all I want anyway, I am a lot more impressed with the Marantz than I thought I would be. I figured to use it as a stepping stone to a Anthem/+ Pre-Pro but now Im in no hurry, there is still a high end PP in my future but I am content to see whats comming.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Guy,
I beg to differ that it's about the only game in town..

There are the following Pre's for the same $$.

1. B&K Ref 50
2. Krell Showcase: Price is $3400 ish discounted although I've heard folks getting it for $3k.
3. Integra Pre/pro
4. Fosgate Audio's new pre that lists for $2999.

Bryston is 4k and quite possible to get lower I'm sure because it lists for the same $$ as the Krell.

Pre/pro buyers willing to spend $3kish or less really have it nice right now and CES is coming up on us...

There is also a rumor of a Baby Lexicon MC12.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I know and Parasound's 2500 is in there too but you have to admit Anthem has a pretty good grip on that market. With the exception of Lexicon about the only one discussed much is Anthem, I mean it is everywhere, I would like to see the others you mentioned get more agressive, I still say we would be the ones to benifit, there has been some movement, bring it on. . .

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Shane, I have listened to the anthem as well a very nice piece but I found it to be on par with the other pre pros and not really enough to make me give up all the important features that I use with the 49tx/parasound combo like speaker alignment, timber matching, video up conversion ,auto setup and the list goes on!

Thanks though , Bob

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Also something to remember is that Sonic is constantly on the ball with upgrades and such for the Anthem. They also have excellent customer service.
Don't forget to look at the Myrad MDP500, Parasounds new pre/pros they have coming and this one... http://davislab.com/products_01.htm

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Wow that's thing is gorgeous, It looks to as big as my 49tx that's big for a prepro! the big question is how much jing;)
Thanks Chris, Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks