What's new

What's the most you ever paid for a CD? (1 Viewer)

Ed Francisco

Stunt Coordinator
The most ever for me was $80 for China Crisis' "Collection" Limited Edition 2CD set (so I guess that comes to $40 per CD). Only 1,000 ever made, and the 2nd disc is full of B-side tracks not available anywhere else on the CD format.

Next was $35 for The Beautiful South's "Carry On Up The Charts" 2CD set. Only 1,000 made too. Also $35 on The Colourfield's "Virgins & Philistines" Jap import.

One of the most expensive I've ever seen on Ebay is Cactus World News "Urban Beaches". I've seen that one go for as high as $200. Incidentally, that album will soon be re-released (remastered and with bonus tracks) so I feel sorry for the saps that bought it on Ebay. Good things come to those who wait.

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator
$45

Todd Rundgren:Live in Chicago 91

Japan import.

$30

Humble Pie: Street Rats

Japan import.

Not a CD but.

$80 VHS :b

Kate Bush: The Single File

E-Bay bidding war, Out of print since the late 80s

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I paid $60-something for the Goonies Soundtrack on E-bay because its the only cd which contains Cyndi Lauper's top 10 hit The Goonies 'r Good Enough and is out-of-print. I did have a bid for $120 for an opera cd, William Michael Balfe's Bohemian Girl which this is the only recording ever put on cd as far as I can tell, but I was outbid! I believe it was a two disc set. The most expensive set I've ever bought is in the mail right now, Solti's Complete Wagner Ring Cycle for $148. However this is 14 discs and averages out to $10 and change per disc. Probably the best bargain I ever have found is also in the mail. The complete Shostakovich Symphonies conducted by Ralph Barshai. This set recieved a perfect 10/10 (performance/sound quality) rating at Classicstoday.com and only cost $21.89 plus $6 shipping for 15 symphonies on 11 discs! That's about $2.54 a disc for the complete symphonies of a great symphonic composer in one of the best recordings available!

Ed Francisco

Stunt Coordinator
On this subject, can anybody tell me why Japanese CDs are so expensive? Do they have better quality CDs or is it just sellers inflating the costs?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Derek, welcome to the Forum. Vol. 1 is a great album. Enjoy it! I'm enjoying my copy! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
On this subject, can anybody tell me why Japanese CDs are so expensive?
Nope, it's just that's what the market price is - it's been kept artificially high by killing the second hand CD market there. I've been told that CDs are regarded as a "luxury item" in Japan but I've no idea if that's true or not.

James D S

Screenwriter
I paid $45 for "Rob & Fab," the near aborted solo effort by the "frontmen" for Milli Vanilli.

*hangs head in shame*

All hell, who am I kidding - I played the shine off that bad boy!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Not counting box sets, signed stuff, etc, but rather just single albums OOP or hard to find I assume.
I guess in the 30-40 range, though I can't remember.
However, just a few hours ago I spent $30 ordering "Are You Experienced?" remastered import version (Europe). I had the original US version and had once passed (barely) on the UK version with the different songs/order.
So now I will have both versions, though the remasters contain all the songs from both versions and some b-sides - and all remastered. But this will have the original UK album order/songs before the US songs and B-sides.
This explains that right now I have...
NP - Are You Experienced? :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I paid $38 for a Limited Ed. 3disc Steve Roach cd(Ascension of Shadows).

$50 and $250 on two titles similar to each other, both rare soundtracks (limited release)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I just dropped $38 for the XRCD of Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. That ties my record (the other $38 purchase was Yes - Tormato import when I was in college.

Why did I do that? I don't know. It was calling me!

NP: John Paul Jones - Zooma

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I bought the Dire Straits XRCD for around the same price on eBay last year. It sounds great!

NP: Cream Disraeli Gears remastered CD.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Yes, it does. One of the top albums from the decade, IMO. Too bad it is an import-only (the XRCD), because most wouldn't want to pay the price, I'm sure. Especially since the original sounded pretty darn good itself.

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
I paid $350.00 for a Japanese Kate Bush Double CD Promo. It was released back in 1993 to help promote THE RED SHOES over there. There were only 500 made and I consider myself lucky to have gotten a copy. Although it contains songs that are readily available, and a few b-sides, I'm surprised that it has actually increased in value.

Cheers!

Harry

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Whoa...Harrison just might be the winner!!!

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
Ron & KeithH:
Though I came pretty close, I think Colin Jacobson "won" this one.
I may "win" this competition. I have two $300+ purchases:
-Bowie "Glass Spider Tour"4-CD King Biscuit radio set $380
-Bowie "Sound + Vision" Signed Limited Edition Box $350
I almost paid $500.00 for an original copy of Tori Amos's first album Y KANT TORI READ, though I came to my senses and managed to find an excellent quality boot..., err..., CD-R copy. ;)
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks