What's new

What's the most you ever paid for a CD? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This thread amounts to a poll, but I hope it will stay in the Music Area. So, what's the most you have paid for a CD? I have to admit that as a music collector of sorts, I have spent over $50 for a disc on a number of occasions. This includes purchases of sealed MFSL gold CDs, other rare out-of-print discs, imports, and promos. What prompted me to ask this question is that I just paid $60 for a sealed original copy of The Traveling Wilburys Volume 1 CD. I know that's a lot to spend on a CD, but this album has out of print for a long time, it is a sealed copy, the music is great in my opinion, and the band lineup is legendary. So, is anyone out there as crazy as I am? :)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
You've got me beat. I think I paid ~$25 for a Blue Rodeo CD on which I'd only heard 2 songs. ~$30 for a Todd Rundgren Anthology import CD. ~$45 total for Santana-Caravanserai SACD from HMV Japan.

[SMUG]I did snag Traveling Wilburys v.1 hot off the presses when it was first released for regular price, probably about $12.95.[/SMUG]

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Close to $35.00 for a copy of DCC's Elvis Presley 24K Hits on gold CD. Although, I am extremely tempted to spend close to that amount for a XRCD version of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim said:

I am extremely tempted to spend close to that amount for a XRCD version of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms.
If you like Dire Straits, get the XRCD of Brothers in Arms. It is outstanding. I bought it on eBay for around $35 last summer, and it is definitely the best version of the album that I have on CD. I have the original Sire CD, the remastered Warner Bros. version, and a European import of the remastered version (Vertigo). None of them are as good as the XRCD.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Keith,

Caravanserai is very nice, much of it instrumental and jazzy. There is some experimentation with electronic keyboards, and of course it's infused with CS's trademark Latin/African percussion. The recording itself (and its rendering in DSD) is wonderful, perhaps reference quality for its time period.

The only cut I knew before buying the disc was "Just in Time to See the Sun" You might want to check out the samples on CDNow to see if this one's for you.

The Santana SACD whose release I really yearn for is Santana ("3") That's one of my all-time favorite albums, special to me as it was one of the first half dozen LPs that I owned.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I paid $25 for a Mobile Fidelity copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. $30 for a Mo-Fi Yellow Brick Road CD also.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
What is an XRCD?

For some reason, I never got into the gold CDs or any of that stuff. Gosh, that's all I need: more ways to spend money.

NP: Miles Davis, Live Evil, SACD

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I paid $60 not long ago for the DCC gold disc of Aqualung. That's my record.

Keith, was your sealed copy in a longbox? Just curious.

Ryan

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Um, I'm a little embarrassed to say, but I spent $70 on a mint, longbox Sony gold Mastersound copy of Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here." The way I see, it's somewhat of an invest, right? (Just nod your head...)

I too just purchased a copy of the Travelling Wilburys, Volume 1 for my fiance for $26.50...what's up with that?

I am extremely tempted to spend close to that amount for a XRCD version of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms.
Go for it...if you're a DS fan, that disc is worth it! I feel it rivals some of my Mo-Fi's in sound quality.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Im betting like $12? Oh wait, I bought Blackalicious' Nia at full price when it first came out and wasnt available at Best Buy. I paid like $14.99.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I recently spent $35 for the Sorpranos SACDs... Don't know if that counts as a CD. It is good though.

Traveling Wilburys V.1 is a great unavailable album... Enjoy.

Speaking of Brothers in Arms, I was listening to the original Warners version this afternoon and thought to myself... How did they get such great CD sound back in 85'? Makes me wonder what the XRCD version sounds like.

NP: Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to Keith and Ron for your encouragement on the Brothers In Arms XRCD. I have the original Warner Bros. version (via BMG Music Service) and the imported Vertigo version (before the domestic remastered version became available). I've heard that the Vertigo version and the domestic re-mastered version is the same, so I didn't get the new domestic CD. I will order the XRCD of Brothers In Arms then.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I may "win" this competition. I have two $300+ purchases:
-Bowie "Glass Spider Tour" 4-CD King Biscuit radio set - $380
-Bowie "Sound + Vision" Signed Limited Edition Box $350
I think I dropped about $125 for a 2-CD "Superstars In Concert" set from 1990, and $100 for a 3-LP version with some different tracks.
Yes, I'm a sucker for Bowie!:D

Tony Stirling

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmmm... let's see...

about 4500 yen for David Sylvian--In Praise of Shamens live 1988 promo. at the time, 4500 yen came out to be about $35. what a deal. as far as I know, there was no other recording of that show... with marc isham on fugelhorn. cool stuff, if you like sylvian...

tony

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much everyday, I see a mint copy of the MoFi version of "The Wall" go for at least $200. Forget about a sealed version...you're talking $350 easy.

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
"$30 for a Todd Rundgren Anthology import CD"

I spent ~$40 for a Japanese import of Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything 20-bit remaster. Don't regret it one bit.

Also, close to that same amount for Japanese imports of Pink Floyd's Meddle and Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Don't regret those either.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
As an update, my sealed copy of the Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 CD came last week. It was definitely worth $60 to me. What a great album from top to bottom! By the way, does anyone know when this album went out of print? I know it was awhile ago.

Anyone else have stories to share?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks