What's new

What's the most you ever paid for a CD? (1 Viewer)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I once paid $75 in a donation to WXPN, the NPR station in Philadelphia, for the sole purpose of getting their live recording compilation CD that a band that I'm friends with was performing on.
I've also paid $250 to the same band (for Grey Eye Glances) for four CDs, two with unreleased songs, and a live double disc concert that was done as a fund raiser by them to buy back their music from their former record label.
Finally, I donated $100 to the Marillion 1997 USA tour fund to help them afford a US tour that year, and received a live CD for donating to the cause.
Also, I once spent $30 buying a compilation CD off eBay that I regretted afterwards. I don't regret the above three purchases, however.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I forgot about the Marillion tour fund CD -- I also put $100 toward that. I don't really think of that as what I paid for the CD, since I got to see the tour, but I can see how someone from Sweden would see it that way!

I also paid, I think, $70 for an autographed Matthew Sweet CD in a charity auction, but that's another one with an asterisk by it.

Ryan

Derek O

Auditioning
Keith said:

does anyone know when [Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1] went out of print?
I don't know exactly when printing stopped, but I know it was discontinued due to disagreements with Warner Bros. It was officially deleted from their catalog in 1997 although I'm sure they stopped printing it long before.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Ryan: Actually, I was in the States then, and managed to see four shows on the tour, so it was money well spent! :emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Derek, I don't know if there is a sudden interest in the Traveling Wilburys CDs. I do recall seeing a used copy of Vol. 1 in a store a couple years ago for around $40. If a heightened level of interest in the Traveling Wilburys CDs is a recent phenomenon, it could be due to the recent passing of George Harrison. Just speculating.

Used copies of Vol. 1 are readily available for $20-30 on eBay. I would have considered a mint used copy, but when I saw the sealed copy available with the "Buy it Now" option, I jumped at it. One doesn't see sealed copies nearly as often. Now I'll be looking for Vol. 3.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
$24 for the Empire Strikes Back Double CD release. I tried getting Traveling Wilburys on eBay, but in the end just made some CD-Rs from Kazaa mp3s. I figure since there's no offical release, it isn't really stealing.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 is OOP because it is part of George Harrisons Dark Horse Label, despite the fact it is on the Wilbury Label.

Currently, even after the passing of George Harrison, his entire catalog is currently in litigation for the past several years, brought on by dispute between GH and his ex-manager Denis O'Brien. Warners released his entire Dark Horse catalog years ago around 1994. It was pulled from the market very quickly (his Capital albums are still on the market.) While the case was pending, his entire Dark Horse catalog (from 33 1/3 to Traveling Wilburys, Vol 3) were put on hold until the case was settled. It is rumored that Harrison also withheld the albums until he had a chance to remaster all of them, too. The lastest word is Capitol is planning on securing the rights to all of Harrisons Dark Horse albums for re-release.

According to Steve Hoffman of DCC fame, all of Harrisons albums are controlled by Apple, and not by his estate.

Please correct any of the info I gave above if it is wrong or out of date.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,

Thanks for the info. Well done. I figure the Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 CD will be reissued someday, but in case I am wrong, I decided to grab a sealed copy on eBay while I had the chance. Sealed copies don't come around everyday.

Adam said:

I tried getting Traveling Wilburys on eBay, but in the end just made some CD-Rs from Kazaa mp3s. I figure since there's no offical release, it isn't really stealing.
I don't understand what you are saying. What do you mean by "since there's no official release"? Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 were legitimate albums that were available in any record store once upon a time. They are out of print. It is true that bootleg copies are readily available now. For example, you will see many bootlegs on eBay with volumes 1 and 3 on one CD and volumes 2 and 4 on another. Volumes 2 and 4 were never released. My understanding is that these "albums" contain alternate takes, remixes, etc. I also saw a bootleg version of Vol. 1 in a store recently that had extra tracks. Such discs are bogus, but there are legitimate copies of Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 out there.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I tried getting Traveling Wilburys on eBay, but in the end just made some CD-Rs from Kazaa mp3s. I figure since there's no offical release, it isn't really stealing.
You can rationalize it any way you want but just because something is out-of-print doesn't mean that the copyright doesn't still exist. Legally, it makes no difference.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
True, and I would buy offical releases in a heartbeat. That said, it makes no difference to the copyright holder... they won't get any money from price gougers on eBay. If/when they are re-released back to stores, I would most defineately pick them up... for the better quality if nothing else.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Adam said:

they won't get any money from price gougers on eBay.
I understand what you are saying, but remember that there are people out there who will pay these "price gougers'" prices willingly. If there weren't, they wouldn't be "gouging" prices. They charge what the market will bear. It happens all the time.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dean, I've thought about pursuing the Traveling Wilburys LPs, but I decided to go with the CDs first. The Vol. 1 CD sounds great. I just picked up a copy of the Vol. 3 CD on eBay last night and can't wait to hear it.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I paid a high amount for:
Duke Ellington: Blues in Orbit (Hybrid CD/SACD - Mobile Fidelity)
This disc had a limited run of about 2500 discs.
RedTrumpet.com had it for $50 U.S. when I purchased it (now priced at $70)
After the Canadian exchange rate, shipping and duty/border charges I wound up paying about $110 CAD.
I have to say that it was worth it, even for a disc with only 34 minutes of music. The SACD layer sounds incredible.

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I paid $65.00 for a Japanese Import of Metallica's "One" + several bonus tracks. Unless we're talking box set, I don't know if I'd pay any more than that. And even $65 is a lot... hahaha...

scott.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,

Thanks for the very interesting info!

I got my copy of TW Vol. 1 late last week and had a chance to listen to it over the weekend. For some reason, I was opposed to it from the get go, but ya know, it's a pretty damn good CD and it sounds good to boot!

I agree with Marc...Duke Ellington "Blues In Orbit" is one of my faves!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks