What's new

what's the most addicting theme song on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that about the last season of Charmed. Right now, I'm kind of enjoying the DVD releases ... just ordered Seasons 4,5,6 and I have plans on picking up Charmed Seasons 2,3 from the local Best Buy.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I love lots of themes, especially the classic ones from my formative years of the '50s through the early '70s.

One theme that continues to haunt is the theme from M*A*S*H. A member of the Steve Hoffman music forum posted a link to his own website detailing the many changes to the M*A*S*H theme over the years:

http://tushball.com/MASH.html

Lots of fun for M*A*S*H fans.

Harry

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
It's impossible not to get perked up by The Office and How I Met Your Mother's theme songs.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mission:Impossible
Hawaii 5-0
Jonny Quest
The Wild Wild West
Perry Mason
Hill Street Blues
M*A*S*H
Time Tunnel
Dr. Who

michael_ks

Screenwriter
The themes to shows listed by Doug, Jeff W and Charles are all great ones. For some reason, my very favorite TV themes tend to be for 60s era British shows:

The Persuaders! (John Barry)
The Adventurer (Barry)
The Prisoner (Ron Grainer)
Danger Man (the harpischord driven instrumental by Ed Astley)
Man in a Suitcase (Grainer)

Paul Sawtell's theme to "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and Hoyt Curtain's "Jonny Quest" are tough to beat though!

For episodic composition (underscore), my favorite composers are:

Dominic Frontiere for "Outer Limits"
Fred Steiner for "Star Trek"
Bernard Herrmann, Fred Steiner and Jerry Goldsmith for "The Twilight Zone"
John Williams for "Lost in Space"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Can this list include just music, too?

If so than I can't get enough of the opening music from Friday Night Lights, it gives me chills with it's sound and imagry.

Also partial to Knight Rider, The Dukes of Hazzard, Angel, Bones (love when that house beat comes in), Veronica Mars (except for season 3, they slowed it down waaaay too much) and Smallville.

Rodrick

Second Unit
The Fall Guy, Flintstones, Friends, Frasier, Full House, 7th Heaven, Gilligan's Island, Mash, Diffrent Strokes, Doogie Howser, Silver Spoons, The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family. Family Ties, Fresh Prince of Bell Air, Baywatch, The Muppet Show, Seseme Street, Scooby Doo Where Are You, The Archies, Mad About You, Who'se The Boss, Fame, Golden Girls, Miami Vice, Magnum PI, Three's Company, Happy Days, Laverne& Shirley, The King of Queens and The Land of the Lost.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
How about "Curb Your Enthusiasm"?

Love those first three tuba notes: Bump Bump Bump...

Jon

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Yeah, I'd have to say that's my biggest disappointment with the ``Charmed'' S8 set is that they went ``cheap'' on the theme song that they'd had for 7/8 of the run of the series.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
My two favorite theme songs are Route 66 and Rockford Files. Some of the fun of the Rockford Files theme is the lead-in phone message right before the theme plays. The theme to Route 66 is a solid song from Nelson Riddle that played well as a top 40 song. Another song that played well was Hawaii Five-0, although I rarely watched the show.

Real Name
Andrew
A few classic TV themes that stick out for me:
Hawaii Five-0
Mission Impossible
Get Smart
Battlestar Galactica
Buck Rogers
Gilligan's Island

Film: The classic Bond theme music, Star Wars and the Indiana Jones movie themes stick out the most for me back then.

For modern stuff, I find the anthem in Team America World Police not just catchy, but damn funny. Heck all the songs in the movie make me laugh as well as being somewhat catchy, though not as good as the anthem.

I also find the music used in the menu for the first disc of Sin City: Extended cut to be a little hypnotic but rockin' at the same time.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think the problem is that there isn't a whole lot of creativity being produced in today's television shows. The networks, tossing everything in the pot, hoping for at least one hit. It's like throwing several stones at the same time hoping one of them will skip across the surface. They're poor odds and it's no wonder why the studios are losing money on many of their new shows.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
No one's mentioned Space:1999 S1 yet? Sadly, S2's is a complete abomination.

Won't re-mention those already posted, but let me also add West Wing.

Law & Order is even more interesting since there are three variants to that theme also out there (my fav of the 4 is probably the original CI version).

Of the new batch of shows, Journeyman isn't bad either. Sadly, I wonder how much of it we'll get to hear in the future. Studio 60's really short theme wasn't bad either.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Greatest American Hero. Believe it or not by Joey Scarbury
Welcome Back by John Sebastian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks