What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Anyone bought the new release of the orignal Night Stalker? I haven't tried them all, but the first 2 discs are slow to load. It just makes noise for a bit, kinda back and forth and finally loads and plays perfectly. Wondering if I should return for replacement. ...neverminds, there are scratches and marks on some of the discs. QC problem looks like. Asked for refund. will buy again.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Night Stalker again. I notice my discs are approx 4.5 gigs. Single density. Does anyone have the new set and can tell what size theirs are? 4 of 5 discs in mine don't load right away. I smells fishes and chinese pirates. :(

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The seller is offer to replace the bad discs each.

Not good. My friend got pirated Dr. Who dvd sets. He wanted a refund but the pirate seller insisted they would swap out new discs for his bad ones.

He said they were not defective(they were pretty obvious knock offs), but didn't want bootlegs. They gave him a refund after a bit of a hassle.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not good. My friend got pirated Dr. Who dvd sets. Same situation, he wanted a refund but the pirate seller insisted he would swap out new discs for his bad ones.

He said they were not defective(they were pretty obvious knock offs), but didn't want bootlegs. They gave him a refund after a bit of a hassle.

The one time I called an eBay seller on Bootlegs was Miss Fisher season 2.

No fight, no hassle, no contact, just a refund.

The other bootlegs I'd gotten in the past were before I knew how to spot one, so I didn't complain. And yes, seasons 2-4 of Doctor Who were among them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I believe that the single sided set is now available at most Wal-marts. FYI. For maybe $9.96?!

$19.96, IIRC.
Online says $17.49 - same price at Amazon so just who's PMing whom?

I was just at one of the stores this afternoon and saw the title on the shelf but didn't pay attention to the price. I was too busy shaking my head in wonder at them selling S1-S3 of the 4 season The Untouchables in a MegaPak. Where's the logic in that?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Online says $17.49 - same price at Amazon so just who's PMing whom?

I was just at one of the stores this afternoon and saw the title on the shelf but didn't pay attention to the price. I was too busy shaking my head in wonder at them selling S1-S3 of the 4 season The Untouchables in a MegaPak. Where's the logic in that?

Wal-Mart online prices are sometimes different than in store.

I've seen the Perry Mason movies for $28 something on their website, while at the same time it's $32.96 instore.

OTOH, The complete Full House is 70 bucks online, 44 bucks instore.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
thanks everybody. :) I'm going to ask for a refund and buy it somewhere with a better rep.

I've had a few experiences like this. I'm sitting on a Maude set that's pirated. I got a Dark Shadows once too. But got a refund on it and bought the real one. ebay can be so irritating!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've had a few experiences like this. I'm sitting on a Maude set that's pirated. I got a Dark Shadows once too. But got a refund on it and bought the real one. ebay can be so irritating!
I have a few ways I use to avoid the pirate stuff on E-Bay.
-Always buy only from sellers with 100% feedback(or 99% sellers with fewer than a couple hundred transactions)
-Only buy from sellers with pictures of actual items. Absolutely no stock photos. Stock photos tell me nothing about the actual item I will be receiving. I found out the hard way once, and was not at all happy about it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

They did the same with the all-in-one of The Fugitive-- why didn't they split the seasons 50-50 for four-season series like that and The Untouchables?!

-Only buy from sellers with pictures of actual items. Absolutely no stock photos. Stock photos tell me nothing about the actual item I will be receiving. I found out the hard way once, and was not at all happy about it.

That's why, when I'm shopping a particular title on EBay, I bypass those that have only stock photos, or when there are actual pictures of the release, only one picture of that release (and that, only the front; no back, side, or inside, or even pictures of the disc layout, slipcases or similar).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I sent a request on Universal's website to tell me the size of those dvds. If that confirms it I'll get the refund.

the dvds has scratches and marks on several. they look pressed and the labels look right to be. The Maude set looked great too. the dark Shadows was obvious.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Somewhat surprising to see a bootleg copy of Kolchak Night Stalker nowadays. After the single-sided discs re-released version was released, it was essentially dump bin fodder on arrival.

If I had to guess, Radioman's bootleg copy was probably an old copy manufactured many years ago, when the old flipper set was still at its full msrp price. (IIRC, the old Kolchak night stalker flipper set wasn't that common in local dump bins).

Last edited:

HonkyTonkMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erik
I don't reveal what my most recent TV on DVD purchases are until after I have actually received them in the mail.
Here are my most recent TV on DVD purchases that I have received in the mail.

Here's Lucy (The Complete Series 24-disc box set that MPI Home Video released in 2014)

McHale's Navy
(Seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4 + the 1964 movie McHale's Navy and the 1965 movie McHale's Navy Joins the Air Force)

The Hardy Boys: The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure (Walt Disney TV Series from 1956 that starred Tim Considine and Tommy Kirk)

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tax time UK buying spree!

LA Law S7 and 8 (finally finished that sucker up, both me and the distributer. There was a huge delay between 6 and 7)
Til' Death Us Do Part/In Sickness and in Health (because I've already got All in the Family and Archie Bunker's on Disc and/or DVR)
Red Dwarf XI (because I hate the US's slowed NTSC Slowdown versons)
Trollied S6
Call The Midwife S6 (because odds are the US Blus will have changed music)
Broadchurch on Blu (well, season 3 in a couple weeks).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Glad you were able to get that! That dry spell between 3 and 4 here from Shout! seems to be neverending.

The UK releases have been going on for so long, I started collecting them long before Shout even announced S1. Then there was a huge delay between 6 and 7, which is when Shout started up. Then Shout stopped cold and the final UK releases finally happened.

I don't think one had anything to do with the other, but for a while it looked like I might have been switching to R1 discs for those final couple of seasons.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Congrats on finishing LA Law, Robert. I picked up Seasons 7 & 8 when they finally came out last year and it was so nice to at long last have the entire series, even if the sets weren't R1. Seasons 4 & 5 have some of my favorite storylines of the entire series, and it would have been a shame if they were completely unavailable. I don't see Shout Factory returning to the series anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks