What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
IIRC, both Roseanne and 3rd Rock were originally Anchor Bay releases, and when the rights ran out Mill Creek got them.

I think the problem with shows like Doogie and Titus is that they're Fox shows, and Fox being Fox, doesn't care.
You're right - on both accounts. I'd forgotten about Roseanne and 3rd Rock. But both of those had problematic first releases (cut music) which was fixed on the MC releases. So far the Doogie episodes sound and feel uncut. But being Fox... well that pretty much puts the nails in the coffin.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You're right - on both accounts. I'd forgotten about Roseanne and 3rd Rock. But both of those had problematic first releases (cut music) which was fixed on the MC releases. So far the Doogie episodes sound and feel uncut. But being Fox... well that pretty much puts the nails in the coffin.

Well if you want straight rereleased of uncut Anchor Bay stuff, they released the original versions of a Xena and Hercules, before Universal got the rights back and released their own sets.

Still, It's not like Fox would do that.

I don't think Doogie had any edits. Surely someone would have complained about it long ago.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well if you want straight rereleased of uncut Anchor Bay stuff, they released the original versions of a Xena and Hercules, before Universal got the rights back and released their own sets.

Still, It's not like Fox would do that.

I don't think Doogie had any edits. Surely someone would have complained about it long ago.
Yeah, those were from Anchor Bay, weren't they? For some reason I was thinking those sets were distributed by ADV. I'd missed Xena on those so was thrilled Universal did a rerelease. I was going to consider the Hercules series for the much smaller packaging until I discovered they didn't put the 4 movies on S1 and, AFAIK, still haven't rereleased them. They've also not rereleased S6 yet...

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
So I just bought Season 1 of Daniel Boone from Shout Factory, and I'm a little bit bummed to see that they are reusing the prints which have "audio enhancements" added to them. From the first episode alone, it sounds like they added bird sound effects and crickets to outdoor scenes with no music soundtrack, and the indoor scene of Boone telling a story to his kids has a rather irritating crackling fire sound effect added as well. The back of the season states a mono soundtrack, but this sounds like it is the stereo downmix of the 5.1 surround mix that Goldhil created for their DVD release. This almost makes me wish I got my hands on the set from Fox MOD when it was still available...

For those who have the other seasons that Shout has recently released, do the other seasons feature these so called "enhancements" as well? Also, do the episodes that air on MeTV/H&I/Decades feature these "enhancements"?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Petrocelli (all-in-one from VEI of that 1974-76 NBC legal series w/Barry Newman, from Amazon; Alan [Carabimero] enjoyed that immensely, so I figured that I'd get it and see why Alan enjoyed it, and perhaps enjoy it myself)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
HMV Canada is closing, so stock is being liquidated (Recently, I visited family in Regina, Saskatchewan and the downtown store had everything 70% off!)--I've picked up quite a few movies (Scream Factory and Criterion Blu-rays for $10-$15 each) and TV sets. I bought Arrow S3 and The Night Manager on Blu-ray for $10 each and picked up a second copy of The Defenders for $18 (I'll probably give it to my mom, as she enjoys borrowing TV-on-DVD sets of 60s TV shows like Naked City and The Fugitive).

I relived my 90s youth by grabbing Picket Fences S1 at Giant Tiger (always a good place to find discounted Blu-rays and TV-on-DVD sets). My partner and I are hooked (love those Tom Skerrit blowouts), so now I have to look at buying the Aussie DVDs of the remaining seasons!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Fifth-season, first-volume release of Have Gun, Will Travel (1961-62); that's all that was at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville (that, and the fourth-season, first-volume release and the second-season release)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Death Valley Days - S3
Newhart - The Final Season - One that, just a few years ago, I thought I'd never see completed. Bring on George & Leo CBS (or maybe that should be Shout!)!

I haven't quite made it to the final season of Newhart yet, but I did check out episode 1 just for time, and an old friend was spotted in the opening credits... "CBS StereoSound (where available)"

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Went to a library booksale today. Bought several DVD boxed sets for my collection including:
Hart to Hart - Seasons 1 & 2 - $4 each
St Elsewhere - Season 1 - $2
Remington Steele - Seasons 1, 2, 3 - $2 each
The Equalizer- Season 1 - $2

I was planning to get the Complete Hart to Hart boxed set come out in May but now I'll probably just pick up the other sets individually unless the new set gas the TV movies too.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's 70s Show complete blu rays. $37.95! It qualifies for free shipping. And I had some credits from my card. it was $35!!! so long crappy DVDs.

additions....bestbuy.com seems to have matched.

Last edited:

HonkyTonkMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erik
I was planning to get the Complete Hart to Hart boxed set that will be coming out in May but now I'll probably just pick up the other sets individually unless the new set has the TV movies too.
Unfortunately, the upcoming Hart to Hart: The Complete Series release by Shout! Factory won't be including any of the eight Hart to Hart reunion television movies from 1993-1996.

I already own the individual releases of all five seasons of Hart to Hart on DVD.

I have refused to buy the DVD-R releases of all eight of the Hart to Hart reunion television movies because I totally despise DVD-R's.

It's such an outrage that the eight Hart to Hart reunion television movies still haven't been released on factory pressed discs.

Last edited:

HonkyTonkMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erik
These are my most recent TV on DVD purchases.

Angels in America (TV Mini-Series from 2003 that starred Al Pacino, Meryl Streep and Emma Thompson)
Kojak - Season One (6-disc Universal re-release from 2017)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (5-disc Universal re-release from 2016)
Police Woman - Season Two
Rawhide
(I bought all eight seasons of Rawhide separately)
The Rebel - The Complete Series
The Rockford Files - The Complete Collection
(34-disc box set that was released by Universal in 2015)

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Doctor Who: Power of the Daleks
Perry Mason: The Complete TV Movies.

Normally, I'm one of the saps... er... dedicated collectors who buy sets early and bear the cost for those who swoop in and buy complete series releases on the cheap later on.

But with the Perry Mason movies, for various reasons I waited it out.

So thanks, all you folks who bought the 3 disc sets! ;)

How do you like the Perry Mason set?

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How do you like the Perry Mason set?

As far as watching it, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Though I have seen some of the films, most notably the first one that was on the Perry Mason 50th set.

No, I'm slogging my way through the final season of Newhart right now, having last watched the worst episode in the history of the show, or perhaps any Bob Newhart show (I Love You, Butt...).

As far as the packaging, I don't have the hatred of the epicpaks that many do, so I think it's a nice, compact storage device.

And as far as TV purchases... well, none recently but I have a few in mind for tax return time.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My #1 want. Wonder Years locker complete series. $132. and that'll be all for me for a while so I'll save money and watch all these great shows!!

MST3K volumes are on sale. But the willpowers were working good until it snuck up and ordered the Wonder Years while I wasn't looking! :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Kings - Complete Series (only 1 season)
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries - S3 (another completed)
Love American Style - S1/V2
Shaun the Sheep - S3/S4

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks