What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
I drive a lot. Although I’m in a big city, I regularly drive 1 to 1.5 hours to go to other cities. Pawn shops used to be a major source of DVDs but unfortunately most of them no longer buy DVDs. Just yesterday I picked up several box sets. The Winds of War, War and Remembrance (HIGHLY RECOMMEND watching these), a UK import that has both Titanic and Avatar 3d Blu-ray, The Magnificent Seven four movie set and a. Few other sets. All $1 each. Some days are not so good, some days are great. Been doing this full time for many years. You develop multiple sources and relationships.
Holy crap! What a haul! I Iove Winds of War & War and Remembrance. The latter I recorded onto VHS eons ago. Would be cool to have them on disc.

You convinced me - I'll have to check the listings and see where the local thrift stores are. Never noticed any driving by except a Goodwill.

Jasper70

Second Unit
Real Name
Harold
Holy crap! What a haul! I Iove Winds of War & War and Remembrance. The latter I recorded onto VHS eons ago. Would be cool to have them on disc.

You convinced me - I'll have to check the listings and see where the local thrift stores are. Never noticed any driving by except a Goodwill.

Let us know if you score anything

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Here's a new review from CINEMA RETRO Magazine about Film Chest's new DVD set of Boris Karloff's complete series of Colonel March of Scotland Yard...with fascinating detail on the history and production of that show, including details on the people behind the series, including renowned American expatriate director Cy Endfield's (Hell Drivers, Mysterious Island, Zulu, Sands of the Kalahari, etc.) involvement as producer and directing three episodes under the alias of 'Donald Ginsberg'...

Colonel March of the Scotland Yard
Interesting review. I hardly agree with his assertion that it would have benefited by an HD Blu release. IMO it would have enhanced the impurities of the prints. You can't improve what you ain't got. Anyway, then it would likely be too expensive for most.

One might question Film Chest’s decision to put out the set on DVD instead of Blu ray in 2024 as a curious one. The monochrome episodes look pretty good, all things considered, but the visual images are noticeably soft and would have certainly benefited from a loving high-def. treatment. Having said that, the set is eminently watchable, if not perfect… well, to my aging eyes at least. But obsessed techie-collectors will not likely greet this release with neither fanfare nor acclaim. For those of us more forgiving, it’s nice to have the series, at long last, complete.

What I cannot understand is how Film Chest can possibly compete with a series that had already been available on streaming for free prior to this release. Film Chest is not exactly being helped in any way by Multicom Entertainment Group Inc. I guess being public domain explains all that?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
What I cannot understand is how Film Chest can possibly compete with a series that had already been available on streaming for free prior to this release. Film Chest is not exactly being helped in any way by Multicom Entertainment Group Inc. I guess being public domain explains all that?
All good points, Neal. This 'Multicom Entertainment' must be the entity that discovered these good film sources and made them available to Film Chest (maybe they also share some corporate ownership? Dunno). The Multicom logo appears before every DVD episode plays. Yes, the series itself is PD as you said. Previously, only around a quarter of the Colonel March of Scotland Yard series was in circulation, so these new film sources represent the first time that the whole 26 episode series is available. For a lot of people, I'm sure that watching them on Multicom's Youtube channel will suffice. But I am as always grateful to have them on disc in this quality Film Chest presentation.

I messaged Film Chest on FB my congratulations and happiness over having their new set, and in thanking me in their reply, they once again said to "stay tuned". They must have more rare stuff in the works!

TLones1060

Agent
Real Name
Tim Lones
When my wife passed away in November 2021, I donated most of her favorite DVD Movies and series and some of my older partial collections which I've replaced with full season sets, when able to. Someone is getting a lot of nice Goodwill deals in the Canton-Massillon Ohio area.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
All good points, Neal. This 'Multicom Entertainment' must be the entity that discovered these good film sources and made them available to Film Chest (maybe they also share some corporate ownership? Dunno). The Multicom logo appears before every DVD episode plays.
Thanks Randall. Didn't Film Chest tell you they did some restoration on these prints? As I noticed earlier the samples on the Multicom YouTube video looked better with more accurate contrast. Perhaps you can post a few random images. I'd like to know if the picture quality is richer looking across the board on all the DVD episodes. I finally had a chance to look at the episodes on Prime and they are indeed better than those on YouTube but I suspect the DVD is best.
Yes, the series itself is PD as you said. Previously, only around a quarter of the Colonel March of Scotland Yard series was in circulation, so these new film sources represent the first time that the whole 26 episode series is available. For a lot of people, I'm sure that watching them on Multicom's Youtube channel will suffice.
I wouldn't be one of them as the YouTube episodes are for the most part lousy looking.
But I am as always grateful to have them on disc in this quality Film Chest presentation.
Agreed. I'll guessing at some point I'll grab this used on eBay.
I messaged Film Chest on FB my congratulations and happiness over having their new set, and in thanking me in their reply, they once again said to "stay tuned". They must have more rare stuff in the works!
They have some cool stuff on their website. I wonder what they are hinting at?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
When my wife passed away in November 2021, I donated most of her favorite DVD Movies and series and some of my older partial collections which I've replaced with full season sets, when able to. Someone is getting a lot of nice Goodwill deals in the Canton-Massillon Ohio area.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I just ordered the two volumes of season 1 from The FBI.

thefbiS1V1.jpg

thefbiS1V2.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Pre-ordered on Amazon back in April, but finally due to ship out on June 4th:

davison s20 cover.jpg

Otherwise known as S20. Been waiting for the Region A version of this one for a long time (the U.K. edition was released back in September 2023!) Can't wait to watch the 20th anniversary special "The Five Doctors" (one of my favorite episodes of the series), with all of its 16mm location film elements remastered in HD.

Last edited:

Jasper70

Second Unit
Real Name
Harold
So I scored season 5 of Emergency today at a thrift store for $2. I need seasons 5 and 6 to complete my set. Unfortunately this was weird. It’s the slipcase version with the three slim cases. But this only has one slim case, disc 5. And then squeezed into the slipcase was a regular amaray 5 disc case. And I have two copies of disc 5 and 4. No copy of disc one. Oh well, what do you expect for $2

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
So I scored season 5 of Emergency today at a thrift store for $2. I need seasons 5 and 6 to complete my set. Unfortunately this was weird. It’s the slipcase version with the three slim cases. But this only has one slim case, disc 5. And then squeezed into the slipcase was a regular amaray 5 disc case. And I have two copies of disc 5 and 4. No copy of disc one. Oh well, what do you expect for $2

I'm interested in how many people still buy single season sets. I remember the shelves of Best Buy being clogged with them back in the 2000s, usually with fancy new photo shoots of the cast to try to convince the consumer there was something new and exciting about the latest season.

I typically only buy complete series sets, unless one doesn't exist (Adam 12 for example) or there is some unique content on the season sets (The Professionals for one).

Jasper70

Second Unit
Real Name
Harold
I'm interested in how many people still buy single season sets. I remember the shelves of Best Buy being clogged with them back in the 2000s, usually with fancy new photo shoots of the cast to try to convince the consumer there was something new and exciting about the latest season.

I typically only buy complete series sets, unless one doesn't exist (Adam 12 for example) or there is some unique content on the season sets (The Professionals for one).

Plenty of people still buy single season sets. I sell more of them but it’s also because I find more, finding complete sets at thrift stores happens but not as much as single season sets.
I did find the complete Hazel yesterday, new in shrink for $5 but I’m going to open it to check and make sure it’s not a boot, it’s Shout Factory.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Looks like Imprint in Australia strikes again, picking up Network's mantle in this case:

r and h blu-ray imprint.jpg

Includes all of the extras from Network's older DVD release of the series, plus lots of new ones...including new commentaries and a 120-page booklet from TV historian and researched Andrew Pixley. Pre-order link here.

I won't be getting this super-looking (and doubtless, super expensive) set, as I'm quite satisfied with my Network Blus of this very enjoyable series...but for anyone who hasn't yet picked this show up, this looks like the way to go.

They've also put The Persuaders! up for pre-order:

persuaders copy.jpg

Good news about this set: it includes the eight remastered-for-HD European film versions that Network released in their Persuaders! at 50 set a few years back, along with several new commentaries and special features in addition to those that were previously included in Network's (splendid) U.K. Blu-Ray release.

Both sets limited to 1500 copies.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

That's how it was for me when I first set foot in a Best Buy (the one in Greenville on Woodruff Rd.); practically every show one could ever hope to want on DVD was there.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Looks like Imprint in Australia strikes again, picking up Network's mantle in this case:

View attachment 223237

Includes all of the extras from Network's older DVD release of the series, plus lots of new ones...including new commentaries and a 120-page booklet from TV historian and researched Andrew Pixley. Pre-order link here.

I won't be getting this super-looking (and doubtless, super expensive) set, as I'm quite satisfied with my Network Blus of this very enjoyable series...but for anyone who hasn't yet picked this show up, this looks like the way to go.

They've also put The Persuaders! up for pre-order:

View attachment 223238

Good news about this set: it includes the eight remastered-for-HD European film versions that Network released in their Persuaders! at 50 set a few years back, along with several new commentaries and special features in addition to those that were previously included in Network's (splendid) U.K. Blu-Ray release.

Both sets limited to 1500 copies.

Arrggh! That Persuaders release hurts. Guess I'll be content with the Network set, though new commentaries are tempting.

I still need these Network releases:

UFO
The Sweeney
Minder
Return of the Saint
Shoestring

Wonder if Imprint will come through on any of them. They have Sweeney and Minder on DVD, but maybe Blu ray is coming?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Earlier today at the Jockey Lot... the original double-sided all-in-one DVD of Kolchak: The Night Stalker (only $15; had never seen it before, but wanted to see what all the fuss was about, because at least one user here has chronicled the episodes in great detail):

kolchak1.jpg

kolchak2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jls
Recent bookmarks