What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (1 Viewer)

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Had to take my Laurel and Hardy set back, the discs were bad. I got credit for it and ordered Top Cat, Huckleberry Hound, and Gunsmoke season 12 vol. 2. Got the sets from Fed Ex yesterday.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Had to take my Laurel and Hardy set back, the discs were bad. I got credit for it and ordered Top Cat, Huckleberry Hound, and Gunsmoke season 12 vol. 2. Got the sets from Fed Ex yesterday.
I'm sorry to hear about your defective Laurel & Hardy set, William! I don't know for sure which one you're referring to, but my first guess is the LAUREL AND HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION 10 disc set. I've had that one since soon after its release in the fall of 2011, and have derived much enjoyment from this gem of a collection! Hopefully, you can get another opportunity to enjoy that, or whichever other set you had purchased!

Anyway, returning to the TV theme, my Blu-ray set of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, Season 1 arrived in today's mail! Below is a 720p Print Screen capture from the Reunion RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) TV Movie. Most other RTM screenshots on the internet appear to be sourced from VHS, even the larger dimension ones!

From Left to Right: Andy Griffith; Richard Lineback; Ron Howard and Jack Dodson in RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986)

RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) 04 - Andy Griffith, Ron Howard, Jack Dodson +1.png

CHEERS! :)

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Don't know if I asked before, but why do Mill Creek releases not have subtitles?

Basically because they're cheap. To maximize profits. I personally think they're being short sighted. There are a lot of people who aren't deaf or HOH who use subtitles. I'm HOH, it is simple, they don't care enough to provide subtitles or CC on a release then I don't buy it. Rockford, Miami Vice, Knight Rider, I would buy all of these sets but I won't. I refuse to support a company who does business in this manner.
Pretty sad in this day and age of high tech video we have companies who won't even put basic CC or subtitles on their releases.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW - 16 EPISODES (Brentwood):

The Andy Griffith Show 16 Episodes (Brentwood DVD).jpg

2 Disc Public Domain set that includes the only known DVD version of the complete 25 and a half minute cut of "The Darlings Are Coming" episode!

Last edited:

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Anyway, returning to the TV theme, my Blu-ray set of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, Season 1 arrived in today's mail! Below is a 720p Print Screen capture from the Reunion RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) TV Movie. Most other RTM screenshots on the internet appear to be sourced from VHS, even the larger dimension ones!

From Left to Right: Andy Griffith; Richard Lineback; Ron Howard and Jack Dodson in RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986)

View attachment 38826

Is this version of Return to Mayberry a better picture quality than the one released on The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary: Best of Maybery DVD release? For some reason I thought both were released on HD on both releases.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Is this version of Return to Mayberry a better picture quality than the one released on The Andy Griffith Show 50th Anniversary: Best of Maybery DVD release? For some reason I thought both were released on HD on both releases.
No. It's typical PD image quality with blacks somewhat crushed and whites that'll bloom on occasion. It's also a bit soft. Much like you'd have seen watching it broadcast on a local station ~30 years ago (on your CRT). The only value is it having the Darling episode "The Darlings are Coming" complete with all music ("Salty Dog" is missing from the official releases, including the 50th Anniversary release).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
No. It's typical PD image quality with blacks somewhat crushed and whites that'll bloom on occasion. It's also a bit soft. Much like you'd have seen watching it broadcast on a local station ~30 years ago (on your CRT). The only value is it having the Darling episode "The Darlings are Coming" complete with all music ("Salty Dog" is missing from the official releases, including the 50th Anniversary release).
I'm a bit surprised that RETURN TO MAYBERRY (1986) looks that bad on the 50th Anniversary DVD set.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Good one, I've been watching that on the CW and it cracks me up.
I especially enjoy Betty White's performance in this one. :)

I'd been waiting for S4-S6 to drop to $10 or less each as I already had S1-S3 I'd purchased at that price, but when Amazon put the entire series up for less than $30 shipped and w/sales tax I had to order a copy. That was roughly the cost of the stand-alone S4 & S5 releases together at that time. I hate having the extra copies of some seasons, especially since 2 are still unopened, but it's really hard to justify the singles in cases like that. With the trend of "Complete Series" releases of late I have that happening more and more. Rawhide, Quantum Leap, Have Gun Will Travel, Becker, and a few others. At least with Becker, I made enough selling the two seasons I had to more than pay for the complete series from Amazon (I got a copy for $33, tax included). That, too, is a rare occurrence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks