What's new

What's the largest size tube tv? (1 Viewer)

Vincent_S

Second Unit
My friend wants to know so I thought I would ask the experts.:)

p.s.-I tried doing a search but it is turned off again.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Currently, that would be the Sony KV-40XBR800. And, years ago, Mitsubishi marketed a 40-inch direct-view set.

It's simply too impractical to make them any larger than that (due to weight issues).

And Mitsubishi has discontinued that 80-inch monster RPTV; the largest it currently manufactures is 73 inches (at 16:9).

Hi Jack,

The real reason that consumer direct view sets top out at 40" is not related to their weight, although I agree it gets a bit impractical. The real issue is that any bigger and the tube would be too deep to fit through a front door! That is the only reason and believe me, if they could fit it through the front door, they would make them bigger regardless of the weight.

There have been sets larger than 40", but they are not consumer sets.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, Jim. It makes sense. I shudder at the thought of a direct-view set larger than 40 inches, but the Sony is really nice. The Loewe Aconda, which I've also seen in action, is heavenly. And both are really, really heavy. :)

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Believe it or not. RCA has a 38"er (16x9) with an integrated high deff tuner for NTSC (with antenna) and Direct TV. It has a high deff component in also, to bipass the integrated tuner (for cable and other). This is an older model and I'm told that they will not be producing anything this size any more due to weight and size restrictions. I am more of an audio guy so I don't really know a whole lot about video displays (yet) but if anyone has any info on this set I would appreciate it. I am considering it for my bedroom. The CC by my house has two left and they are priced at $1179.00 (open box/closeout). I figure, at that price, it really can't be that bad right??? Thank's in advance for any info. MM

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I heard that Mitsubishi came up with a picture tube about 45 or 50 inches, but the Japanese government wouldn't let them sell it because of the explosion it could make if dropped!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
In fact the Loewes model uses RCA's 38" tube.
The differnence in the sets is the cosmetics and the much heavier duty (and much pricier) electronics in the Loewes.

I have the RCA and am very happy with it. Got it for around $1400 or $1500 in October I think.
I have the last generation of these sets which seems to have gotten rid of most of the problems earlier models had. Mine has a moire problem I believe, but I'm supposed to be getting that fixed Thursday.

For the price, I'd say go for it, but take CC up on the extended warranty to be on the safe side. With the low price of the TV, it makes for a sound investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks