What's new

What's the FIRST Tv on DVD you ever bought? (1 Viewer)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I may be wrong but I believe the fist wave of Doctor Who releases, whatever they were.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
"X-Files Season 1" here too.

I think I paid $150 (full MSRP) for mine though.

I was like "24 episodes! That's like 12 movies at $12.50 each!"

It seemed like a reasonable price. How times have changed.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I finally broke down and started buying TV on DVD with M*A*S*H Season 1. Season 3 had just come out and I think I bought seasons 2 and 3 within the week.

I've been DVD poor ever since... :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Wow! X-Files S1 was $150?! Geez! I don't feel so bad about my early puchases now.

I started buying those Star Trek TOS dvds. I only just completed my collection late last year by buying S1. :frowning: I believe the second was that Monty Python 14 DVD set for $125.00 from a yahoo seller. :)

StacyV

Second Unit
Probably Sopranos S3. It was either that or a 4 episode Columbia House Good Times collection

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
My first was Carl Sagan's Cosmos. I think I paid $100 for it back in -ummm... late 2001. It was also my first DVD ever purchased.

LCD22

Screenwriter
It was Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Complete First Season which I bought back in 2002.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember what I bought at the B&M's, but according to my Amazon account:

Dame Edna's Neighborhood Watch - Oct. 1999
Get a Life - March 2000
Christmas in South Park - Nov. 2000

Of course, the first "Season" set I bought, might have been the Simpsons Season 1.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
MASH Season 1, which started me on a craze. It changed the way I watch television. I have over 100 season DVD sets of episodic programming and love watching television that way. I actually wait to watch the program on DVD, such as Battlestar Galactica - which is a huge difference watching it on DVD vs. weekly on television and commercials. Commercials kill the momentum of a show like that and this watching week after week of a storyline is torture.

Great thread, thanks

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
My So Called Life 12/27/02 from DDD for $45.78. I had a one set of vhs that had been released for the show. Wow in over four years I now have 64 shows most average three sets. Don't want to think about the $$ epspecially in the beginning now i try not to spend more then $20 per tv boxset unless complete series like Alias, Buffy and Sex in the City.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Before televsion programming on DVD became really popular, I bought the feature-length pilot episode of Quantum Leap, the two "best-of" Wonder Years releases (which appear to be somewhat valuable now despite the conspicuous music substitutions), and the individual (but in-order) South Park releases.

I recall that The X-Files was the first high-profile show to get full-season box sets, and sparked the whole TV on DVD phenomenon. I never really got into that show, however--my first proper DVD season set was The Simpsons.

Since then, I've purchased more television shows on DVD than theatrical releases. I only recently got around to replacing those South Park discs with the proper season sets--I'd like to do the same for Quantum Leap but I just can't justify it with the music substitutions.

In spite of the occasional problems with music rights or syndication edits, I cannot describe how pleased I am that TV on DVD has become so popular in the last couple of years. There's no feeling quite like having the entire run of one's favorite series at one's fingertips.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
THUNDERBIRDS Mega-Set. I was in a Best Buy just browsing around and an Employee was putting some sets on the shelf. When I saw what he was putting there the next one he pulled out of the box never made it to the shelf!:D Shortly therafter I got BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Cylon Head) for Xmas.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
My first was Babylon 5: The Gathering/In the Beginning. Followed by Babylon 5: Season 1 and Band of Brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks