What's new

What's the diff. between Halloween: LE and Halloween: Restored LE? (1 Viewer)

Carol Razavi

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering being that I've seen two versions listed on many sites. By the way, If any one want's to get rid of thier Halloween: 2 disc LE, let me know.
biggrin.gif

Thanks
------------------
Link Removed

Sean-D

Agent
Carol,
There seems to be a lot of confusion among retailers and dvd buyers on exactly what version has certain features and supplements. The fact is that there are three different cuts of this movie. The release of multiple different versions on videotape, laserdisc, and dvd haven't helped things. (I've purchased 4 different Halloween versions over the last 10 years myself!) The lack of universal acceptance to call a certain version of the movie by one name has made the situation even worse.
The "Limited Edition" versions that you speak of could probably be the same thing. Anchor Bay Entertainment released a couple of new versions with "THX-REMASTERED" video and audio about two years ago in an attempt to make up for a dreadful dvd that they made in 1997. They made a 2-disc version(large Halloween lettering in orange) and a single disc version(large Halloween lettering in white). The biggest difference being the 2-disc's version inclusion of the special 3rd version cut(I call it a director's cut because that's essentially what it is) with new scenes shot by carpenter himself for the edited television version. This is not the same television version that many people have seen.
Unfortunately, the 2-disc version is out-of-print. You may be able to still find the single disc version on the shelf in your local dvd store.(maybe) If not, you may have to find one on the used dvd market if you want one. It's definitely worth looking for if you want to see and hear this movie at it's best.(Outstanding picture quality and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, nice supplements and a hologram front cover art.) Please don't buy the latest version for sale in stores now. It has the edited television version and not the original theatrical release. It also only has dolby mono sound.
The Halloween version that has the most coveted supplement of all is not even available on dvd. A feature-length commentary track by director John Carpenter and producer Debra Hill.(My CRITERION Collection Laserdisc remains the only one that has the rights to this one.
Hope this helps.
patriot.gif

------------------
Sean-D.
"If at first you don't succeed,...remove all evidence that you ever tried."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks