What's new

Whatever happened to MTV's Unplugged? (1 Viewer)

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Areosmith did a pretty good unplugged show back in the day, IMO. I'd like to have that one.

I haven't had cable in a number of years, but did have it when MTV first came out. They used to do a lot of cool stuff back then. Unplugged was good of course. I always looked forward to Saturday nites Headbanger's Ball with Ricky? They used to do a lot of concerts too, I remember watching Iron Madien, Judas Priest, etc concerts. Ahhh, those were the days.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
That "Best of Unplugged" show is available on DVD. It's a great show, but needs a DTS soundtrack.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Neil Young Unplugged is good. He just looks as though he didn't give a shit. The version of 'World On A String' is great, as is the chilling reading of 'Mr Soul' and the pump organ version of 'Like A Hurricane'.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Did you know that Headbanger's Ball is back? It's now on MTV2, and it's hosted by Jamey Jasta, the lead singer of the band Hatebreed.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
Alas, I no longer have cable.

BTW, I like the Slayer quote. They have a new one coming out soon?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

Fuse has "Kung-Faux", which is as bad, if not worse, than anything MTV shows, though admittedly that doesn't comprise 90% of their airtime.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Rumour had it that Neil Young's Unplugged Show was long because Neil Young was so unsatisfied with a performance of a particular song, he would reperform it. Some songs had like five performances...and the audience loved it.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Yep, they are currently in the studio recording the new album. Guees who's on drums? That's right! Our old friend, Dave Lombardo! :D

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
VH1 Storytellers came close for a while, especially the Counting Crows and Black Crowes shows. I think they just ran out of artists who were willing to perform without electronic backing, or who had the skill to do so.

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder whatever happened to MTV? It used to be about the music but this is "The Real World" and I know things change. With all the diverse music out in the world plus great unplugged performances, new music, classic videos and such there should be 24/7 music.

George See

Second Unit

:D

I'll never forget the first concert I saw where some guy in a red jacket got up on stage put a record on a turntable and walked off, after about 5 minutes he came back and did some scratching while another guy did some rapping. I don't remember who it was, it was some 1 hit wonder from the early 90's at a really small college show. The guy didn't even have the decency to stand on the stage while the record played he just left, he could have at least pulled an Andy Kaufman on it.

Fuse definitly sounds like an improvement, I don't want a channel that just repeats the top 20 videos all day long either though. I want a music channel that I can turn on and see someone new that i've not yet discovered.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just listening to The Gathering's "Sleepy Buildings", which was a semi-acoustic show. I kept thinking how great it would be for an MTV Unplugged show. That's what it reminded me of...

Jason

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
That's the only problem with Fuse. I really don't think there is enough variety on there. However, I expect that to improve as the network gains popularity.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I would love to see MTV let go of or do something with the rights of this series.

The musical performances for most of them were quite good, and the recording quality is usually excellent as well.

I would like to see a big old box set of all the performances, with maybe even some re-mastering by a legend like Steve Hoffman to make the music even a little better sounding.

Then have the box set be offered in multiple ways. One that has DVD's of all performances to get the visual aspect of the show, and they could throw the extras in with this one. And then another with the music only in your choice of format CD, SACD, or LP.

Does anyone know all of the artists they ended up recording for this series?

Here are the ones I remember:
Stone Temple Pilots
Pearl Jam
Neil Young
Nirvana
Alice In Chains
Queensryche
Mariah Carey?
Bob Dylan
Eric Clapton
LL Cool J
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks