What's new

Whatever happened to MTV's Unplugged? (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I haven't sat down to watch MTV in two years, but I browsed their website and noticed they no longer have Unplugged as a regular show.

What gives? And how come they never released Stone Temple Pilots or Oasis Unplugged?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
MTV 2 brought back the series briefly maybe two years ago and had Staind and Incubus and a couple of others on but that was the last I heard of the show.

Around that time, I had heard MTV had trouble finding willing performers and ditched the concept entirely. Don't know if it's true or not, but it makes sense to me given the talent level of the artists MTV is pushing these days.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i would love to see stone temple pilots and nirvana's released on dvd. but im not holding my breath.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
MTV2 shows Unplugged occasionally. In fact, they showed the Nirvana one a few weeks ago.

:laugh:

That would be funny.

George See

Second Unit

What do you mean they fogot what the M stands for, there's plenty of music in all those episodes of the real world.

The world needs a real Music television channel. And not just one that shows the top 20 videos. I'd love to see a channel that shows some videos some live concerts (not the MTV edited down to 30 minute concerts either) maybee a show or 2 about music gear (guitars soundboards etc etc) Maybee a few shows with instruction. Basically a channel with and about music.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
One of the first Unplugged episodes I caught had Joe Satriani and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

IIRC, Stevie played by himself, and Satch had another dude on acoustic with him.

Now THAT was Unplugged. Stunning performances by both. True guitar gods. I don't think that one has ever made it to video, and the VHS I made is AWOL.

BGL

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i don't think most of today's popular acts could cut it musically in that type of environment. so i'd go along with the dearth of willing performers.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
last one I caught was the Jay-Z backed by The Roots. Really good performance. I would have loved to have caught the incubus show.. didn't know they did one.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see a band like Van Halen do a MTV Unplugged show....if they can figure out who's the lead singer.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

How about Van Halen and Guns n' Roses together for an unplugged show. There would be lost singers, lost guitarists, random face lifts and cosmetic surgeries, and finally a huge bare knuckle brawl where no one would get hurt, considering Axl and Eddie are total wimps. The encore would be a kick-ass rendition of Panama, with Axl and Diamond Dave singing co-lead vocals, with a special appearance by Slash to butcher the solo. Ah, that would be GLORIOUS:D ;) ;) :D

Actually, MTV2 plays some good music, but a little to rarely. It, too, has gotten into those gimmicky "request live" and web-vote video shows, where the same videos get shown over and over again. I think my favorite show is Subterranean, but it's only on a couple times a week at rediculous hours (2am on a Sat night? C'mon)

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I think Unplugged is gone because the only rock and roll MTV plays is whiny mall punk. Can you picture Good Charlotte or A Simple Plan unplugged? Not excactly Alice in Chains or Nirvana, the two best Unplugged shows, in my opinion.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

That would be fucking amazing!

George, I think Fuse comes the closest to what you are looking for. They don't have any crappy reality shows or stuff like that, it's all music videos!

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I never know Satriani did an unplugged, that would be insane to see again. I've got SRV's awesome 12-string rendition of "Pride and Joy" from the first "Best of Unplugged" on VHS, but the tape is pretty beat. The Cure was good on that also.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Unfortunately the "Best of" special I taped only has "Pride and Joy". MTV is sitting on a gold mine, let's start releasing these classic shows folks !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks