What's new

What Would Calibration Do For Me? (1 Viewer)

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering what benefit I could extract from buying Avia and an SPL and doing calibration on my system in its current state. I've got:

Paradigm Studio 60's (L&R)
Denon 3802
Sony KV27FS12 WEGA

I've gone into service mode on the Wega and turned off red push, corrected the over squeeze on the 16:9 enhancement mode, and set the 'Movie' mode color settings to the same as someone else who calibrated the same set using Avia and posted the results online. I'm not familiar with audio calibration in general, but I'm wondering what benefit I would obtain with only two speakers connected? Similarly, I don't know if there's anything else I could correct with my picture through calibration. Any insight would be appreciated.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If Calibration you mean is via professional calibration then there is nothing you can do to get your black level at a constant 6500k. This change seems subtle but in no way is it. There are other changes such as turning of SVM(Scan velocity modulation) and cleaning/stripping the lenses(if you own a RPTV) as well as others but these are the primary ones.

Now if you mean with Avia then the changes can be very subtle to very big depending on what you change.

Did you adjust your Contrast, brightness, color ?
If so then you are at your end of Video calibration.
If not then you are quite possibly overdriving your set by running your contrast too high.

Audio Calibration for 2 speakers is a bit unnecessary until you add the center and surrounds. You want to make sure they are all on the same level which will make your system sound more balanced. It will also make sure your subwoofer is dialed in properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks