What's new

What window/floor fan are you a fan of? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
It's hot.

I want an air conditioner, but they are a little pricey and suck up a lot of power, so I want to look at fans first.

Anyone have a favorite brand/model that you know works really well?

I am leaning towards window fans that will really MOVE some of this hot air OUT of my apartment. What is the best way to get a cooler room? Maybe if I open a door/window opposite the window with the fan in it to create some cross-breeze circulation?

Any suggestions for setups/models that have worked for you greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
I picked up one of those fans that are about the size of a B-29 engine the other day. I'm not sure who makes it but it was about $40.00 and wow can that thing move some air.

I have renamed it MEMPHIS BELLE.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Pick up a 'Wholehouse fan'. Sure, they run upwards of $130, but one fan will do the trick.
Peace Out~:D

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I'm following you Ron.
Try an air-mover by Vornado, which could be the engine-like fan Mark bought. I used to write copy for them so I got to experience all their fans, and they are amazing. A bit pricey tho.
http://www.vornado.com/
Rule of thumb: Never pay more than one dollar per inch of diameter when buying a fan. A 20" fan for $19 is a good deal. A 20" fan for $25 is a rip.
MC

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, those fans look cool.

Do they just move the same hot air around and around or will the circulated air be a little cooler than stagnant air?

What has worked for you: keeping all the windows closed so no more hot air gets in, or opening them up so the circulated air has a way to get out? Where have you found to be the best place in an apartment to place these Vornados?

Thanks!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
A wholehouse fan mounts in the frame work of your attic's opening in your house. They run off 110, but you need to wire them up, they do not just plug-in.
The wholehouse fan works by removing the hot/stuffy air from your house dumping it into the attic, at the same time it pulls in the air from outside via your windows and doors.
Your main goal is to get the hor air out. This will automatically pull in the cooler outside air. Floor fans, like the Vorando just move the stuffy/hot air around inside the house.
Try this link for the Home Depot site:Wholehouse Fans

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just re-read your post and noticed your in an apt. If your on the top floor, you should have an attic, if not, the wholehouse fan idea just blew out the window.
They work better than any fan I've ever used.

Ernest Aguayo

Stunt Coordinator
hey Ron!

Yeah, I live in a bottom floor apartment, otherwise I would be all over that whosehouse fan idea!

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Don't get a Vornado fan. Way overpriced and they don't move air any better than other floor fans. To make a proper analogy, I'd have to say that Vornado is the Bose of the fan industry.
You're right in thinking about moving hot air out of your apartment. Several manufacturers make box fans and window models (usuually with dual fans) that can move air to the outside. At night, turn them around and use them to pull in cool air into the apartment.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Since you are unable to install an attic fan like Ron P suggested, I would strongly recommend any model made by Patton. They mainly produce commercial grade air circulators, but they have a few models designed for in home use. Keep in mind that these are not at all like a normal fan for your house. They use industrial grade, high velocity motors with incredibly powerful fan blades. They carry a 10yr warranty, are constructed entirely of metal, and can swivel 360 degrees. These things will move a ton of air. I would venture to guess that the 18" model (of which I own two) can move about as much air as 10 regular sized box fans.

The house that we live in does not have a/c on the 2nd floor, so I have one of these fans pointing upward from the bottom of the stairs (with the fan speed set to low). It keeps the entire second floor cooled to within 2 or 3 degrees of the downstairs.

I believe that they are available at most large home improvement stores and most Wal Marts carry them too. The 18" models sell for about $50 and the 14" sells for about $35.

I forgot to mention that they also work great for changing out the air inside the house. Open up your windows and put the fan in or very close to the window opening. It will exhaust the hot stale air inside and pull in the air from outside very well. I did this last year when our a/c went out for a day, and it worked quite nicely.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I'm not mechanically inclined at all, but I installed Hunter fans in every room of my townhouse. We swagged them all because we had no electrical box in the center of our ceilings. Our fans have been running strong for more than eight years without a hitch...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks