What's new

What was the verdict in regards to European speedup? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I was researching old threads and found this quote from a post from May:

Has this ever been confirmed that

a) The European HD-DVDs have audio speedup?
b) Blu-Ray is less likely to have this problem?

I've searched all over this forum but haven't seen this question answered, if there is one yet.

While I'm talking about overseas discs...

Has it been confirmed that Japanese BD releases are region-coded? I seem to recall that Japan would be Region 1 for HD-DVD when they implement Region Coding, but haven't found an answer regarding BD yet.

Thanks,
Jeff

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I now have 3 HD-DVD euopean releases and they are all 1080p24 releases, not 1080p25.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
I believe all of the announced releases for both formats do not include speedup of any sort. As for the region coding, Japan and the U.S. are in the same region for BD and Europe is a different region. I don't know if all of the Japanese titles enforce region coding yet. HD DVD still does not have region coding and although the DVD forum has had studies and meetings on the subject, they have not made any official announcements on when they would be implimented.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
By the way, when it occurs, the speed-up is BOTH audio and video (if it wasn't they would go out of sync) and Blu-ray has no magical advantage.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

As long as they keep region coding out of the releases, the exclusivity of studios this partially muted. This is good for both sides. I have already purchased 3 'out of region' releases and have enjoyed them immensly, and have a few more on tap. Some of which are not available on either format in the US.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I hope they will do 1080p 24 for movies !!
I am not sure if some TV broadcast stuff will be adjusted from 25f to 24frames, like football or some sport....

I wonder why Germany WC football was delayed, maybe they are updating something hmm

Marek

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
We should keep TV broadcasts out of this discussion. Those will most likely be speeded up everywhere in Europe i.e. there is no change to the current situation, but that is a separate format and does not affect HD DVD or Blu-ray in any way.

Disc-based HD formats are different, because all "HD ready" or "Full HD" displays in Europe must accept 60Hz signals from external video sources, via component or HDMI, in order to be labeled as such. Since all displays can show movies played back at their correct speed, there is no need to introduce any speed-up by encoding at 25fps.

I don't know where the quote from May in the first post comes from, but I would surely appreciate proof of an HD DVD disc that is encoded at 25fps. As far as I know, none exist, because the hardware does not (yet) support this format at all.

I am not familiar with European Blu-ray releases, but I will re-iterate that there is no reason at all to encode at 25fps for either format. Even if it was theoretically possible to do this, why pay for a different transfer for the European market when you can just use the same one everywhere?

MarekM

Supporting Actor
Marko,

I was talking about TV BROADCAST stuff wich will be on HD-DVD or Blu-ray !!
like olympic games, football, hockey.. etc etc.. documents from BBC etc..

that stuff could be made in 1080p 25frames !!!

so the question is if they will do conversion to 24frames...

so I was talking about DISK BASED HD stuff from broadcast TV area :)

for example I did not have any confirmation if this was shot HD or FILM, if it was in 24 or 25 frames ??

FIFA World Cup - All The Goals Of Germany 2006 [HD DVD amd Blu-ray

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FIFA-World-C...113467-0350200

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FIFA-World-C...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

original release date was 20.november, now its 15. january, delay is maybe delayd Toshiba players in Europe, or they are updating disk to 24 frames hm

Marek

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
I have the FIFA HD DVD on order since last month from Amazon.uk

It's a little frustrating to see it getting pushed back again and again but I won't mind if once I get it into my player!

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Marek, I was actually not referring to your post earlier but to Sam's directly above mine.

I don't know if it's possible to convert 25fps material to 24fps and still obtain smooth playback, but since hardware support for 25fps material is limited or nonexistent, I would imagine those titles will be either converted or postponed until there is sufficient hardware support available.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Forgetting the audio: for movies that operation is technically a breeze on digitized recordings (not analogue ones, like laserdisc).

On digitized media, each film frame is recorded just once (or half + half in case of some forms of interleaved recordings), and the different speeds are obtained by presenting the images during a different period and with a different progression (1/50 - 1/50 - 1/50, 1/50, etc. for PAL displays and 1/60 *3 - 1/60 * 2, etc. for NTSC displays).

So, apart from the way they are read-out (and apart from the accompanying audio), the digitized picture contents are the same. It's the way they are processed that differs on SDVD.

So on HD it could be very simple.

A few days ago, I ordered the European HD DVD release of Harry Potter and the Goblet (etc.), so after it arrives, I will tell you people what I find on that!

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

ok :)

well I think it is possible...... there are many projects converting PALNTSC from 25 to 30(29.97) frames or 30(29.97) to 25 frames..

than you have from film to pal or ntsc.....

so from 25 to 24frames, I am sure it is possible....

marek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks