What's new

What Type Of Projector/Screen Should I Get? (1 Viewer)

SpringTexas

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
I am setting up my media room and have already ordered my receiver and surround sound. Now all that is left is the projector and screen, or a big screen TV. Since I have a truly dedicated media room I would like to get a projector since light control is not an issue. My viewing distance will be about 13 feet and the mounting distance of the projector from the wall will be about 14 feet. I had considered the BenQ1070 but someone mentioned that I would need at lease 130" screen at this distance and I feel that 130" is a bit too large for this viewing distance. My question is, what projector and screen size would you recommend for the distances mentioned before? Oh, and budget is about $1500.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I sit 9 feet from 120. But, I watch a bunch of 2:35(108").And...sounds like your couch is up against the back wall. Move it forward to 8' if you want a decent sound field.

ben50

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben Rodriguez
I don't feel 130 inches is too much screen at 14 feet. I sit 11 feet from a 120 inch screen quite comfortably. Actually, i wouldn't mind going up to 135 in the future. What you feel is too big is a personal decision. Everyone is different, so there is no right or wrong. The Benqw1070 is a terrific value and highly recommended. How big or how small a screen you can use all depends on the distance you mount the projector, and the zoom range of the projector's lens. Just use the distance calculator at the projectorcentral website to figure out the throw you'll need. As for the screen you'll need: I recommend you use a 16:9 (or 1.78:1) fixed frame white screen with little to no gain (1.0 to 1.1) With the budget you're working with, since about 800 dollars is already dedicated to the projector, (Shop around, you may find a better price) that doesn't leave you lots of money for a screen. Fortunately, a good quality white screen can be had for not a lot of money. I've personally had good results with Elite, and great results with Visual Apex. (VAPEX for short) I've also heard very good things about Silver Ticket, though i have no personal experience with that brand. Also, if you go to the Visual Apex website, you can buy a w1070 with a Vapex white screen as a package for a terrific price with free shipping. Good luck to you. Hope all goes well.

tk1023

Auditioning
Real Name
Trista
I would suggest doing some research on a projector website like ProjectorScreen.com. There are just so many different types of screens to begin with including:
  • Ceiling recessed screens
  • Fixed frame screens
  • Folding-frame screens
  • High definition screens
  • Outdoor screen
  • Pull up screens
  • Rear projection
  • Projector screen paint
  • 3D screens
  • Ambient light rejected
  • Stick-on screens
  • Tabletop screens
  • Tripod screens
  • Wall / ceiling screens
  • Whiteboard screens
  • DIY screens
  • Custom screens
Yeah, that is a lot of options. Some of these categories are broken down even further. For example, there are ceiling recessed screens that are electrical or manual. Anyway, the website gives you the specifications on every single type. This includes the viewable diagonal, width, and height in inches. You should check it out and try to find the perfect one for your media room. I think projectors set off a true entertainment room opposed to traditional televisions.

Elfmaze

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I personally advocate not buying a screen until you know how big you want to watch... A quick black painters tap border on a white wall for a few weeks and playing with the zoom is cheap insurance against not being happy with your new $700 -$3000 screen and having to ship it back., I usually go with the THX or SMTP recomended(not going to post the link as i haven't read forum policy on that sort of thing) viewing size to start with and then adjust from there. A huge benefit of a projector is it adapts to new room configurations and sizes rapidly.... Less the screen material

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a Sony projector with a 118" screen.

The throw distance is 16 feet. I sit about 10 feet away from the screen.

Carada makes great screens that won't break the bank.

If your budget is $1,500 I hope that's not for both screen and projector as to me, that sounds unobtainable, but I will let the experts weigh in.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. Keep us updated on your project.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Elfmaze said:
I personally advocate not buying a screen until you know how big you want to watch...
I second that recommendation wholeheartedly. When I got my projector, I picked up a cheap white bedsheet just to hand over the wall (my wall wasn't white or I would have just used that), set up the projector to the image size I liked best for the room, measured how big that ended up being, and then ordered the screen. I'm glad I did it that way. I was initially going to go with something a little smaller but when I saw how the projector image looked from where I sat, I realized I wanted something larger. And as a bonus, I had a new set of sheets too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks